Votes: 25 18.5%
  • They're all both of ours

Votes: 36 26.7%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in talking about gender and how it relates to taking responsibility for the dog. With apologies to our single friends and our GLBT friends, I'd like to know, in households with a male and female adult, are your dogs "his" or "hers"? Whose idea was it to get a dog? Who chose the breed? Who chose the breeder/shelter/etc and the specific dog?

In our house, the dogs are really more mine. When we first decided to get a dog about 9 years ago, it was a GSD or nothing for him. That's all he had as a kid growing up. I'd had lots of different breeds and mixes but never a GSD. I research breeders, take them to the vet, take them to training, work with them during the week, research food options, keep track of heart worm and flea prevention, etc. He loves them, plays with them, and gives them their morning meal.

Although he says they're his dogs and if I'm nice he'll let me snuggle with them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I brought both my girls to the relationship. We adopted Micah together although he's always been more "mine" because my SO wasn't living with me officially when we adopted him.

We made the decision together on Kodi but Kodi was his boy, and Dante was mine.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a 5th was added when the right one comels along. Probably a GSD but he's interested in other breeds as well. We make decisions together on pets, but the next dog will be his pick primarily because Dante was mine.

We both care for and love on the dogs equally. It's not a "one person loves them and the other just allows them to be here" kind of situation.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We both care for and love on the dogs equally. It's not a "one person loves them and the other just allows them to be here" kind of situation.
Absolutely. We both love them very much, I just do most of the dog-related work because I have the time and inclination to do it.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
all the dogs I have/had were my idea , I paid for them if I bought them, I rescued them when I rescued. They have always viewed the hubby as a playmate:) Altho my male aussie has attached himself to the hubby, which is fine, I consider him his dog.

The cats on the other hand, (I have 5),,were a mutual decision, but again they mostly hang with me..

He 'likes' animals, but lets put it this way, if I ever left, they'd all go with me:)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Absolutely. We both love them very much, I just do most of the dog-related work because I have the time and inclination to do it.
Me too. I usually do the feeding AM and PM, most of the cleaning, baths, poop pickup, etc. But this is only because I am a stay at home mom now and he works an off shift, so he's not up as early and leaves by the dogs dinner most nights for work.

BTW, I selected "they're all both of ours" because they really are, but we both refer to Dante as "mine" and Kodi was "his." So I'm making sure that the next dog is his pick...whether it's a puppy from a breeder or a dog from the shelter. He knows it's ultimately his decision to get what he wants when the time and right dog comes along.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My husband and I never make a decision without consulting each other. We're a team in everything we do, and that includes our dogs.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
mine. i walk them, feed them, train them, play with them. no offense to my GF, but she's pretty much for for an occasional walk either with me or if I'm gone. give some pets and cuddling with them. i do all the work :(

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I had to vote "hers". Hubby loves them but thats about it. I do everything. I tried to get him involved with training or going for a walk but he couldn't be bothered. He's not lazy. Sometimes I think my "obsession" with the dogs pisses him off. He tells me I love the dogs more than him. Gee I wonder why.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The girls are definitely my dogs! DH feeds them dinner and does play w/ them, but I do all the training, grooming and set the rules!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm interested in talking about gender and how it relates to taking responsibility for the dog. With apologies to our single friends and our GLBT friends, I'd like to know, in households with a male and female adult, are your dogs "his" or "hers"? Whose idea was it to get a dog? Who chose the breed? Who chose the breeder/shelter/etc and the specific dog?

In our house, the dogs are really more mine. When we first decided to get a dog about 9 years ago, it was a GSD or nothing for him. That's all he had as a kid growing up. I'd had lots of different breeds and mixes but never a GSD. I research breeders, take them to the vet, take them to training, work with them during the week, research food options, keep track of heart worm and flea prevention, etc. He loves them, plays with them, and gives them their morning meal.

Although he says they're his dogs and if I'm nice he'll let me snuggle with them. :rolleyes:
It is a hard question to answer but I like to believe Molly is mine. My wife feeds her and spoils her but I walk her daily and train her. It was both our idea to get a dog but I always wanted a Gsd from all those years as a child watching "The Little Hobo". We chose to buy from a breeder

·
Registered
505 Posts
For us, Stryder was a mutual decision. However, I am the primary caregiver, I feed, bathe, walk, train, drive, take to the vet, clean up poopie and puke. I also fix a boo,boo. My hubby clips toenails and treats Stryder every day then he comes home. Now, if you ask my hubby who's dog Stryder is..he says "mine" but he is really mine :wub:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
When Hubby and I married nearly 30 years ago, I brought with me two horses and one GSD dog. Hubby only had one dog in his childhood and it was chained in the back yard. Although he didn't mind animals, he didn't see the need for them.

Hubby was an avid hunter...deer, geese, duck, quail, dove etc. Now after years of pets (including dove) he only hunts deer. I never said a word to him against hunting, I've just made him an ole' softy. Every addition to the family has been my idea. But we do / did discuss it.

I do all the feeding, training, cleaning etc. of all the animals. However, Hubby does feed the horses in the mornings. And when I'm working late or not home.

The animals like both of us, just in different ways. Hubby means play time 24/7. I represent play / food / work. So the dogs may get more excited when hubby comes home - but they cling to me when I get home.

Hondo is interesting as he always wants to be able to see both of us at the same time. If I go into a different area of the house, he'll come to me and stay awhile and then go to hubby and stay awhile. If we are sitting in the same room he'll lay where he can keep an eye on both of us. Rarely does he ever roam the house with out us.

Maggie will sit with whom ever is sitting on the most comfortable piece of furniture. Or if someone has a blanket, she'll crawl under it with you. If you get up, she'll stay there.

Tug is totally indifferent of either of us. If you have a ball, he's your buddy. If you don't have anything to offer him, he'll go off on his own.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wish i could say they were OURS :p BUT we got Ruby.... and on paper she is mine. But it was planned to be our dog.... Then when i did all the feeding, potty training, loving, playing.... It got to a point where we were laying in bed, i was half asleep, and my SO said "Ruby! Come up here" and tapped the bed. Well, After he tried and annoyed me i exhaled and said non excitedly, ruby come up here. And she jumped up and laid on my feet lol Thats when he said THATS IT! I want a dog for ME haha
BUT He chose the worst time to do such a thing. Because in HIS head... While he is deployed i can get all the training done and he will have a dog who knows basic obedience to work with and become close too... HIS dog. :headbang:

I have a feeling this is gonna bite him in the rear haha :whistle:

Max is closer to me than ruby ever was. Its weird, we seem to connect more. idk though ive heard Males are closer to Female handlers. and vice versa?
:D

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
They are "our" dogs....however;...because I work outside the home, and he spends most of his day WITH them..:smirk:....the only one that truly "prefers" me......is the cat..LOL!:angryfire:
Robin

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sin is my dog.

My boyfriend and I were together for almost 3 years when I decided I really wanted to get a dog. He wanted an English Bulldog and I wanted a black GSD. I did research on GSD's and had the money to buy and feed one so I had a head start over him. It was my apartment, my name was on the lease and I had to convince my Landlord to let me get a dog. As soon as he agreed I immediately started looking through the paper and called about 10 different places until I found someone with puppies on the ground and they happened to have one black GSD puppy left. I told them to hold onto the puppy and that we'd be there asap (they were 2.5 hours away). The whole ride there my boyfriend kept saying "We are just going to look, we are not going to buy this puppy, we are going to look at an English Bulldog litter too." I had my money in my pocket and I knew I wasn't coming home without that puppy. When we got there and I laid eyes on my little Sinister, it was love at first sight, I knew he was coming home with me and I didn't care what my boyfriend said. We met the parents and the grandpa. I paid the breeder and signed my name on the papers, he was my dog. At first my boyfriend was upset but he quickly fell in love with him.

I bought the dog, I paid the extra money each month for rent to own the dog, I paid for his food, toys and Vet care. My boyfriend helped me train him and a month after Sinister turned a year old, we broke up, he left and I kept my dog. :)

My ex and I are still friends and Sinister is the reason why. We talk on the phone almost every day, we go to his house to visit and he babysits Sin when I need him to.

I am so glad that I wouldn't take no for an answer because Sinister is exactly what I was looking for and everything that I could have ever wanted in a dog and because of him I will always have a GSD in my life, especially a black one. :wub:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
In my house, Deuce is mine. I've been asking for a GSD for a very long time and we're finally homeowners so it's come true. Hubby would be just fine with an English Bulldog and NOT a GSD ;)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Any dog we have is mine. My wife loves them and shares in walking and feeding and playing but when I go from room to room (or anywhere else) the dog is my shadow.
Unless, of course, wife is cooking.
The choice of GSD through a breeder was mutual. All previous dogs were totally my choice. (mutt puppies from the pound)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We had a client who seemed surprised when I said something along the lines "well that's his dog, so not my problem ;)". We have 9 dogs, 2 are mine, 2 are my daughters, 1 is my son's and 4 are my husbands. Everyone is responsible for their own dog, feeding, training, keeping up with. If I go out, I leave someone in charge of "my" dogs, same goes for everyone else. My son is in college, so I've taken over that dog when he's gone. If my daughter goes to spend the night at a friends she has to make sure her dogs are fed before she goes and that one of us is in charge of her dogs while she's gone. The funny part is my kids argue over who gets to "babysit" Sergeant, my Lancashire Heeler. He's a funny little guy and they like for him to be "their" dog for just a bit.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts