German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this last month, but I didn't get many responses and I think I posted in the wrong forum. I hope posting in the health forum gives more insight.

I have a friend with a 8 month old GSD, and he runs funny. It's almost like he leads with his hips. When he's running, his hips swing out to the side slightly but he's still running in a straight line. Does that make sense? I noticed this a couple of months ago, but yesterday, we were all out with our dogs at a park and their dog started limping slightly after a big run after a tennis ball.

Is this a medical issue like the beginnings of HD or just a weird way of running? He is slightly overweight which might be contributing to it.

I've told them that they will want to eventually check his hips, but they don't seem to listen to any of my suggestions when it comes to their dog. (socializing, cutting his nails, food, etc) I doubt they'll check his hips out. He comes from an oops-litter from a breeder, but from what I've seen from him and his littermate who also lives in our complex, they don't seem to be of good stock. So I'm worried that something could be wrong with him. There are a lot of issues I have with they way they are raising him, but I think this one right now is the one to focus on.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It's impossible to diagnose something like this over the internet. There are several threads going about HD right now that talk about gait, etc. so you should check those out. If you can get them to listen to you then I would advise three things:

1) Get the weight off of him. Extra weight stresses the joints. This is REALLY important but especially important as he's growing.

2) Get him on a good joint supplement.

3) Get him on a good quality food. That might take care of 1) if they feed him the correct amount and he is getting enough exercise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts