German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday we dined with my parents to celebrate Easter. They mentioned that the neighbor, who put down their elderly GSD last year had just got a new GSD puppy. Of course I was interested and wanted to see and meet the little furball.

Dad called and soon they brought the little girl out for us to see. Nice little 8 week old ball of energy, no fear, very outgoing. I asked the neighbor if this pup had a pedigree, and if so I'd like to see it in case there were any dogs I regognized. The pup was bicolor, looked like possible working lines. The neighbor said, get this, THE VET ADVISED AGAINST BUYING A DOG FROM PARENTS WITH TITLES BECAUSE THEY ARE AT MUCH HIGHER RISK FOR BAD HIPS.

I don't often bite my tongue. Out of respect for my father and his relationship with his neighbor I simply told him I'd bring my titled dog over some time to scale his fence with his bad hips.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wichita Kansas? If so what vet was that? I live in Wichita so I'm just curious. I think that's ridiculous!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wichita Kansas. I didn't have the heart to ask him. I saw my dad's eyes get real wide when he said that, and decided to spare the guy the embarrassment. I took the high road and told him I hope his pup works out, and if he wanted any training tips to give me a call.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah I'd be more mad at the vet for telling him that, yeah there's a chance the hips could be bad from a titled dog but definitely way less than a backyard bred or pet store dog. I got Eko from a backyard breeder and he hasn't had any problems so that makes me really lucky lol. Hopefully I don't run in to that vet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts