German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can remember when the only thing we were concerned with was HD. Then we saw how important the elbows were.

I am beginning to believe the elbows can be even more of a problem than hips. Plenty of dogs with hips that don't pass certification, are quite capable and active way into old age. But the bad elbows, seem to be very debilitating earlier.

This is obviously a blanket statement. But I think the reason might be because the strong muscles that surround the hips, can often compensate for imperfect structure. Whereas, elbows lack those strong brace muscles. Plus, more of the dog's weight is carried by the front legs.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Our vet said that elbow dysplasia was worse than hip dysplasia because the front end of the dog carries more weight. I have no idea if other vets/experts would agree with him, but that is what we were told.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Why didn't you get prelims done on elbows at same time as hips? Sounds like your dog probably had pano when limping as pup. If the prelims on elbows were negative, there would be no reason for restraining the dog from normal up or down jumping. Just curious...this is a strong breed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts