German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2 year olds hips and elbows done and waiting for the OFA results. Just curious on everyones opinion, vet said his hips look great but is concerned about his elbows, specifically the right one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Reactions: wolfstraum

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Agreed, Right Elbow will not pass. :-( Sorry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UGH looks like his fast cats, dock diving and agility days are over. Oh well he will be a spoiled much loved pet.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Hips are very nice....agree - elbows, esp right, no go.

Too bad....but as Bears said - there are surgical options....I watched a vet friend fix several of these while in Cairo a few years back....they were working detection dogs and returned to service quickly.

Lee

·
Registered
524 Posts
UGH looks like his fast cats, dock diving and agility days are over. Oh well he will be a spoiled much loved pet.
Definitely not the end of the world! A friend of mine's keeper pup ended up with UAP. She paid for the surgery and kept him through rehab. He's in a home to do SAR and he's rocking it! My boy injured his left elbow early last year. They weren't great to begin with (going a3 through SV). Our orthopedist said to treat the dog, not the x-ray. If he doesn't limp keep having fun with him. I'd recommend getting some joint supplements in. We use Dasuquin Advanced and Welactin daily.

Reactions: ZeldaR

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the words of encourgment!

We are waiting to hear what our surgery options are. We will definitely be starting him on supplements in the mean time. So far he doesnt act like it hurts him the only time he has ever limped was when he hurt his leg dock diving (the bad one), the big dork doesnt exactly jump off, he slides off the dock to the edge of the pool before he jumps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got the OFA results, hips are excellent left elbow grade 1 right elbow grade 2, UAP.
We are being referred to OSU and will go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts