German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is Varik's hip x-ray done in May when he was 25 months old (just a phone shot of the digital image at the vet's office). I'd like to know your thoughts. I've gotten the report back from the OFA .. not good.

Checked on the radiographic findings:

Moderate Hip Dysplasia
Subluxation
Remodeling of femoral head/neck
Osteoarthritis/degenerative joint disease
Unilateral pathology - left

Insult to injury, the radiographic evaluation of his elbows finds that in his left elbow he is grade 1 dysplastic and also has degenerative joint disease checked for his left elbow. *sigh*

Yeah, I was pretty devastated.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I have seen worse. How is he acting?any lameness?

But yeah, both have thickening of the femoral head and neck. The left (right as you are looking at it) has less than 50% coverage and obvious changes. Right is better but still not great.

Sorry. Is he on Glucosamine/Chondroiten yet? If not I would start that. Keep him lean and well muscled and hopefully he won't show signs.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've noticed some limping when running around, I think caused by his elbow more than his hips. I've noticed some 'symptoms' i.e., back feet closer together than should be ... lazy sit.

Do you think they look "moderate dysplastic" ? I mean, there's only one step lower than that in the scheme of rating ... severe.

Any activities he shouldn't do (frisbee etc. I try to keep it more of a line drive throw where he just chases it down and snatches it but still). ?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I would avoid "spurt" activity. Quick runs, changes in direction, jumping high. Stuff like that. Walks on hills and swimming will be good to minimize injury and build muscle.

Yes. I would call it moderate HD. But I am not an expert or a DVM.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm confused because to me his right hip looks worse. Could someone maybe explain it to me or point out what makes the left worse? Or are both considered dysplastic?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I guess I'm confused because to me his right hip looks worse. Could someone maybe explain it to me or point out what makes the left worse? Or are both considered dysplastic?

Are you flipping the sides? As you are looking at it, the right side is ACTUALLY the left hip.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No .. I guess that's what's confusing me... to me his right hip (left on the film) looks worse than the right. That's why I apparently am clueless and need help! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts