German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had hip surgery on their dogs, and was it successful. Xoe my not rescueed GSD, has extreme hip dysplasia, to the point of it looking necrotic on the xray. She is only five. I can't see being able to keep her still and have a quality of life after surgery. Anyone have healthy GSDS out there?. This is my third young GSD with health problems. I expected problems with my rescues but not the one I bought. Susan g

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
which hip surgery did you have in mind? a successful total hip replacement has a fairly easy recovery and the dogs return to their lives almost 100%. given her age and depending on arthritis - it may be her only option at this point. its the most expensive however, but it gives them the best chance at a normal life.

just out of curiosity - where'd you purchase her, what lines is she, and what are her parents/littermates ofa hip scores?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Can't answer about GSD's but my Border Collie mix, Shep, had both hips replaced d/t arthritis and dysplasia (1 side when he was 12 years old, the other when he was 13). Sam my 18 month old Lab had a hip replacement in January (luxated hip after an unknown trauma).

Hip replacements are pricey, but they were a godsend to both Shep and Sam, allowing them to return to normal activity.

One question about Xoe - is it certain that dysplasia is the cause of the problem? Necrotic looking bone would make me think about infection, trauma etc.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My Rudy had a hip replacement when he was 18 months old. He's four now and has had no problems. Recovery/confinement was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I would do it again in a heartbeat, it really wasn't that bad at all.
His surgery was $3800. Research FHO, as well.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
My 5 1/2 year old is pretty dysplastic. Our vet recommended hip replacement last year. The breeder suggested we try other options first as it is a hard surgery. We had her checked by the vet school who would have done the surgery and they recommended taking some weight off of her. She was not overweight but a few pounds sure did help. As long as we keep her at 67 pounds she is okay.

I would recommend exploring all your options before deciding on surgery.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Meeka was five when she had an FHO. I think it cost around $3,000 if I am correct. That was in '99 or '00 I think. She was a BYB dog.

She did well and lived to be 12, and was basically healthy after the surgery. I do not remember a lot about the surgery itself (had just met my DH and her) but I think it was something that was considered a "must do." Also, she was always a thin dog, never any extra weight on her.

Our other 2 are around 2yrs old (gsd's) and havent had any major heath problems. One is a rescue dog and the other is from a breeder.

Wish you the best! I am sure there are many options and things out there to discuss with your vet.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Check out this ebook: http://www.mypoordog.com
I think it's $15. It is a compilation of stories of dogs with HD and what path the owner's took. It was helpful in my decision to have a hip replacement done for Rudy.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I haven't but I took Dante (Elbow Dysplasia) to Tim Munjar at Veterinary Surgical Center of Portland and really liked him and the center.
http://www.vscpdx.com/home.html

Once at the dog park I bumped into a couple with a Golden who had both hips replaced by Tim and they were very happy as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts