German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I pulled a nasty tick off my 15 month old GSD female's back leg, and while I was trying to inspect the bite area, I pulled her leg, and she pulled in the opposite direction, which caused her leg to go out and the hock to turn away from the body. I heard a pop when this happened, and immediately I remembered a video I watched that said any hip popping is a 100% indicator of HD.

I lied her down and moved the leg around, put my hand over the joint as well, and felt no movement or jumping of the joint. Heard no more popping either, and she gave no resistence and didnt act pained to anything. She doesnt bunny hop (except when she turns sharply she will hop her rear and then begin a normal gallop, or when she jumps down the last two steps she goes 2 and 2). But based on the video that I saw any popping means HD no matter what. She is still so young, and we lost our last GSD/Lab to HD (leg tore through the skin when it snapped). We havent gotten her prelims done, because the X-Rays are expensive and I wanted to wait until she was 2 before getting them OFA'd. Now I dont know what to do. I'm so upset right now, on the verge of tears. She is training to be a Schutzhund and Conformation dog, and is doing amazingly in both so to have her career end before it even begins is just heartbreaking.

Even if she doesnt actually have it, my other worry is that by pulling her leg like that I've pretty much opened the door for future problems. I have no idea what to do, or what to think, and I'm just going stir crazy here. Not only do I have to worry about Lymes because of the tick now, but HD once again as well. She had a bout of Pano a couple months ago in both back legs but that cleared up and there was no more limping. There still isnt any, no sway movement either. She seems so nominal but this pop has me going nuts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I was resting my hand on her hip while she was walking today, and it felt like the joint was sliding. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty positive she has HD in one hip. I just have to wait until Tuesday to see for sure with an X ray, but this just upsets me so much. I've pretty much been crying on and off all day. I have no idea what to do about her training. I know that some people who have HD dogs continue with IPO training and title their dogs, but I dont want to hurt her, or injure her further. I dont know how bad it is or which direction to go in now. She was doing so well...this is like a shot to the heart.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts