German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a little concerned about my @ 5 month old pup's hips. He generally does well but stumbles sometimes. The vet feels he is not quite 5 months old , he is 48 pounds and nice and lean. He is kind of all legs now , but when walking slow his butt does "bounce" and sway . Faster pace , even a little faster , and he looks good. He is hesitant on our front steps , but the concrete over hang on them barked his shin once. He goes up the 2 fl stairs ok , a little slow and stumbles sometimes.

I was not TOO concerned due to the all legs clumsy stage , etc. But then today he was laying on the floor and I heard a yelp. Went in and looked at him , he got up to come see me and was favoring one right rear leg :(

That almost seems like more of a pop out? Or something?

I have not let him play with the big dogs since last weekend since he was getting around a bit slow afterwards..not limping though after playing with them. My Mastiff playfully rolled him once and he let out a cry . Maybe he hurt his hip then? Anyway , since then no more with the big guys until I get him x rayed :(

He has x ray appointment Thursday a.m ..just fretting over it in the meantime and looking for some input .

He did have a bit of panos when I got him last month. Seems to have resolved on proper food. ( first BB LBP , now TOTW)

He always sits like this :

other body pics :

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think your pup got all sore and tired out from playing with the big guys. Best to have it checked out by the vet, like you are doing. What a handsome fellow, he is also going thru a klutzy stage like my Sting did.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It is more the bumble hips look when he is walking slowly . Ad he is slow to get up sometimes..prefers laying down to sitting for extended times. Hope it is just a loose muscle thing or something!

This is the first time I'm doing xrays of this nature..do they usually get you the results at the visit?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think the vet should be able to give you some idea right away. I was wondering also that maybe your pup got hurt before he was picked up by the humane society - even a car door opening suddenly could give a bump.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah , could be he had some roughing up before I got him :/

He seems fine today . Is sitting normal unless he is on the slippery kitchen floor. The swaying and bounce is always there though during slow walking ( disappears once he picks up the pace at all)

In fact , he is super active today . Trying to keep him quiet and from getting the zoomies until the vet x rays him . He raced up and down the interior steps while I was getting the kids ready and my heart was in my throat. He didn't wipe out or anything though. Phew.

Kids are at school now , will be able to keep him calm. Xrays tomorrow at 10 am ET , will post in the show those hips section when I have them!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I know how you feel. I've been a nervous wreck the past couple of days, ever since my vet said my 6 month old had subluxation. Which to me was pretty much saying he had dysplasia. I started reading up on it and my pup had all the symptoms. Sloppy sit. Doesn't stand for long. I finally took him for X-rays at an ortho today. He does have some issues in one hip, but the ortho mainly said he has pano and is growing so fast his muscles and tendons need to catch up. He also asked if my puppy was hurt when he was younger. Because the one hip is a tad out of place. He feels tightening up the muscles in the hip will help with his issues. He prescribed some rimadyl for the pano for 5 days and then as needed.
So I guess in short what I'm saying is. Even though my puppy does have some he issues it doesn't mean your puppy will because pano and loose puppy muscles can show the same symptoms.
We are also on an Adequan treatment for 5 weeks.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I also forgot to mention we had popping sounds coming from both hips, even though one of the hips is normal.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! It went well , she was not able to feel anything off in his hips , could not get them to pop , full range of motion , and he had no reaction to any of it. His gait is sloppy but she said his is loose limbed/muscled still and all rangy/clumsy. She put him at 4.5 months. I'm going to do a separate post about some other advice she had. Thanks for the input , glad your pup is doing well too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts