German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pup is 10 months old as of now and whenever she sits I can feel her hips pop (not necessarily every time but enough to leave me concerned), does this necessarily mean she will have hip dysplasia in the future or is it common for that to occur? Is there any way to tell this early other than taking x-rays and such? I've read a few threads on it and have searched a bit to learn more but i'd definitely like someone's opinion that have dealt with this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I would definately get preliminary x-rays done with a qualified vet. If you go with an ortho, they should be able to position properly and read the films without having to send them off.
If they show that the hips are bad, you can start supplementing now and look at how to manage the problem. Better now than later, IMO.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Make sure you keep her lean, fit and well muscled with exercise! There are also supplements (ester c) that help our dogs.

But the only way to really tell if it's HD is with preliminary x-rays. Ester C for Dogs

·
Registered
668 Posts
I never noticed my dog's hips popping out. The thing I did notice was that she slowed down and that her hips are sunken in because she tries to bear most of her weight on her front legs. I'd definitely look into the x-rays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts