German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Source: The 10 most important things to know about canine hip dysplasia - The Institute of Canine Biology

Hip dysplasia is a hot topic in dogs, if it's possible to stay "hot" for 50 years. Researchers have been working hard for decades looking for solutions, and breeders have been doing their best to reduce the risk of producing affected puppies. But still the problem remains.

There are some simple things we could do to reduce the incidence of hip dysplasia now if we understand a few basic things. Here are the 10 most important things you need to know.

1) All puppies are born with perfectly normal hips
Hip dysplasia is not a congenital defect; it is not present at birth. Multiple studies have demonstrated that all normal puppies are born with "perfect" hips; that is, they are "normal" for a newborn with no signs of dysplasia. The structures of the hip joint are cartilage at birth and only become bone as the puppy grows. If a puppy is going to develop hip dysplasia, the process begins shortly after birth.
This is the hip joint of a 1 day old puppy. The cartilage tissue does not show up on an x-ray until the minerals are deposited that form bone. Proper development of the joint depends on maintaining the proper fit between the head of the femur and the socket (acetabulum).

"The hip joints of all dogs are normal at birth. The joints continue to develop normally as long as full congruity is maintained between the acetabulum and the femoral head... The acetabular rims are stimulated to grow by mild traction applied by the joint capsule and gluteal muscles attached along their dorsal borders, and from pressure by the femoral heads upon the articular surfaces... The morphologic characteristics of the complex hip structure show that biomechanical behavior is the prime influence in the growth of this joint." (Riser 1985)

**The rest of the article may be read at the link. Post was edited for both copyright and because of length of the article. ADMIN**

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Interesting that it says that puppies should not be fat, but I did not see were they said to keep puppies lean or underweight.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So, if there is deformity in the rear legs (tibia) at birth, that would be a huge contributing factor to hip dysplasia?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
When my golden got hip Dysplasia I questioned the genetic part of it because there was no history of it pretty much anywhere. I don't know where my GSD with hip Dysplasia came from so I can't say genetics or not. Now what I do know is that neither puppy was over-weight(all my dogs are kept slim), we didn't do any strenuous exercises and they were on a high quality kibble. The GSD is tall and she grew upwards consistently. There was no injuries when they were smaller. So I keep going back to what happened before I got them? They were both about 12 weeks old, so if I got them at 8 weeks, would the end result be different? I don't know.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
When my golden got hip Dysplasia I questioned the genetic part of it because there was no history of it pretty much anywhere. I don't know where my GSD with hip Dysplasia came from so I can't say genetics or not. Now what I do know is that neither puppy was over-weight(all my dogs are kept slim), we didn't do any strenuous exercises and they were on a high quality kibble. The GSD is tall and she grew upwards consistently. There was no injuries when they were smaller. So I keep going back to what happened before I got them? They were both about 12 weeks old, so if I got them at 8 weeks, would the end result be different? I don't know.
Study shows early neutering poses health risks for German shepherds

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
If the dog has shallow sockets, or underdeveloped femurs, are they telling me this is environmentally induced as opposed to born that way?

·
Registered
751 Posts
'Congenital' means 'present at birth'. By itself, it does not imply whether or to what degree a trait is due to genetic predisposition or environmental factors. Researchers agree that both contribute to the development of HD.

Quick summary of the argument Carol Beuchat made based on the available literature:

HD is not congenital, i.e. pups are born with well fitting hip joints. HD develops due to laxity of the joints, a ligament issue:
"The teres ligament should hold the head of the femur securely in the socket of the growing puppy while the muscles that will support the hip develop and grow stronger. But in some puppies, the ligament shows evidence of damage before they are even a month old (Riser 1985). The abnormal forces on the femur and acetabulum that are caused by joint laxity result in the trauma that causes hip dysplasia and osteoarthritis of the hip."

Among the environmental factors identified to contribute to joint laxity:
- Slippery surface of the whelping box (e.g. kiddie wading pools without added carpet) due to the movements it forces the pups to make
- Nutrition
- Body weight
- Exercise

A multifactorial genetic component is undisputed among researchers. Using the ZW in mate selection is crucial.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Cliff one study that I read recently suggested that the ball and sockets change shape as they are injured by bruising and (ths mentioned more than once) micro tears and repairs .
The ligaments , cartilage and muscle were what held everything together .
This is why Penn-Hip test for laxity (ligament integrity) .
Billinghurst has a section with advice on limiting exercise of young dogs to self selected natural movement - no abrupt stops and stops and twists and turns .

A geneticist friend (senior research scientist) can go in and delete deleterious genes - DM for example , because that has one location . HD is scattered throughout the genetic makeup - and , in his findings , has come to the conclusion that epigenetics , the response of genes (DNA) to outside influences - chemicals (teratogenic) , food/nutrition, exercise , etc etc . make it impossible to eliminate .

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Oh, I'm well aware that injury and environment can affect the physical form of femur/sockets, but having seen hundreds of X-rays over the years, it is apparent that in some cases the formation naturally of the socket and or femur was malformed and not due to trauma and or environment.....it would seem to me to be congenital just like congenital defects that occur in other mammals and can be seen before delivery. Maybe I'm missing something?.

·
Banned
850 Posts
I can't agree with this, here's why. If breast cancer runs in a family, a newborn child will not have breast cancer until later in life. Bones develop through out the first year or so of a dogs life. Bad hips should not show in a newborn pup, as the pup grows into his body, his genetics begin to show. Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but that's just my take on it.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I can't agree with this, here's why. If breast cancer runs in a family, a newborn child will not have breast cancer until later in life. Bones develop through out the first year or so of a dogs life. Bad hips should not show in a newborn pup, as the pup grows into his body, his genetics begin to show. Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but that's just my take on it.
Pups are born with loose hips. From what I'm reading the whelping box can be part of the issue. The tims they start moving until they go to their new homes are pretty important. Just think about it this way, you go see a pup, it stands up in the box, maybe goes spread eagle in excitement. That happens ovef and over as people come to see them--they are slipping and sliding everywhere.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
So basically this is saying that doing x rays of hips prior to breeding isn't necessary...?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
@ Deb....necessary for what?
I know in most mammals incest can be the cause of higher mental and physical abnormalities. Are any of our breeding practices comparable to incest. Why does the SV forbid 2-2 or closer breeding.
I'm not saying that there is any singular cause of HD as it is a multi faceted phenomena, but I also don't believe all pups are born with perfect sockets/femurs and some form of nuture or injury is only causation. But my opinion is based on anecdotal experience and not scientific study.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
@ Deb....necessary for what?
I know in most mammals incest can be the cause of higher mental and physical abnormalities. Are any of our breeding practices comparable to incest. Why does the SV forbid 2-2 or closer breeding.
I'm not saying that there is any singular cause of HD as it is a multi faceted phenomena, but I also don't believe all pups are born with perfect sockets/femurs and some form of nuture or injury is only causation. But my opinion is based on anecdotal experience and not scientific study.

Cliffson1, exactly why I wrote it. I agree with you. I find it hard to believe that the whelping box or early experiences are solely the cause for HD. If that is the case, then why are smaller breeds also not susceptive to it? If you take the percentage of pounds/bone, a smaller replica, then they should also be developing HD. (Not sure how to exactly say what I mean, so I hope you understand.)

Then PL (Patella Luxation) must also be due to early experiences in the whelping box and being raised? Only about 7% of puppies will show PL, most 'acquire' it as adults. It can happen through injuries. There are multiple afflictions that are tested for in adult dogs, varying by breed. Most do not show up until the dog reaches maturity, some not until they are past breeding age. All were fine as puppies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The linked article is incredibly simplistic and seems to be making the argument that all genetic traits are present at birth which is not how genetics work. Genes are turned on/off all the time and many genetic traits only become apparent after certain developmental stages or exposure to certain environmental factors. Just because a puppy is born with "perfect" hips does not mean the environment is the sole cause of its hip issues later on. Not to mention that hip dysplasia is currently an extremely broad category that encompasses all dogs with hip-joint issues and the article only discusses soft tissue related issues.

Sure it's good to take steps to prevent the deterioration of the dog's joints once it is born, but that is not the entire story, and to omit or gloss over the role of genetics is a little baffling.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The study suggests that the effect of genetics is upto 40 percent (not clear how the percentage is derived). But the findings suggest that there is a significant impact of of the upbringing of the pup on this issue. So for new owners what is means is that even if they have gotten a pup from HD free parents and grand parents, still lot care is needed especially that these days a number of pups are raised indoors. Especially for show line pups the some people take the pup on power walk, and long trot (upto 2 to 3 km) from 6 to 7 months before showing the pup in a puppy class. Now too much pressure before the joints mature may lead to significant problems even for pups from ED HD clear parents.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
This is not a study, it is one person's interpretation of selected studies. In human medicine, we are discovering more and more how important genetics are to all aspects of health and behavior. I highly doubt that environment plays a deciding role in hip dysplasia, in most dogs. While I think keeping a dog lean, fit, and intact is a good way to avoid joint-laxity, and other orthopedic issues, I just don't see those factors contributing to what I believe is very much written in the genes.

You see weird behavioral tics passed on through lines of dogs. Genetics. All those dogs are raised differently, trained differently, exposed to all sorts of different things.

Sad to say (because we like to be in charge of our destinies), but genetics rule behavior, and physiology, and disease risks (cancer, bloat, etc).

For example, plenty of babies are born with "perfect" hearts, "perfect" brains, etc etc. It is still genetics that largely determine whether that baby will suffer a heart attack, or whether that brain is susceptible to Alzheimer's or stroke. Pretty much a terrible, non-scientifically supported premise for the whole article that puppies are ALL born with "perfect" (and undeveloped) hips, and thus, for that reason, hip dysplasia is largely environmental.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts