German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7.5 month german showline and I am very paranoid when it comes to my puppy. he's 70 pounds and loves to run and jump all day. He shows no signs of pain and loves to jump. However eh does limp after a big run sessions with dogs and he is very wobbly in his back legs. What are the first signs of HD.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Only way to diagnose HD is by an x-ray. Often, they will bunny hop in the rear end, and sit in a lazy sit, but that's not a definite that there is an issue. Again, the only way to know is to x-ray, if you feel there may be an issue.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Limping after a big play session is a sign of pain. They just don't feel it when they are excited so they limp later when they have calmed down. No matter the reason, your pup is playing too hard. Tone it down. No jumping or wildness for 2 weeks then ease back to normal play and see how the pup does.

It could be lots of things, but continuing wild play with a limping dog is definitely going to make things worse.

·
Registered
Sheri
3 Posts
Does anyone know who long it takes for HD to be cured? I have a 6-yr old GSD and she has severe HD and arthritis. She can't even stand or walk. This is the 4th week already. She is currently under heavy medications and given steroid shots by the vet. I really hope she can be normal again...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Holy jumpin' Jehosophat! Whatever on God's green earth made you think this could be CURED??
If it was your vet, you need to change vets NOW.
If you somehow reached this conclusion on your own, you very much need to do some homework on the subject!

The only 'cure' for hip dysplasia is surgery. - very EXPENSIVE surgery. If your dog is on heavy medication and still suffering, ask your vet about surgical options. But we're talking thousands of dollars here...

There is lots of information out there about this condition - Google is your friend.

I am sorry your dog is suffering from this. :(

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Does anyone know who long it takes for HD to be cured? I have a 6-yr old GSD and she has severe HD and arthritis. She can't even stand or walk. This is the 4th week already. She is currently under heavy medications and given steroid shots by the vet. I really hope she can be normal again...
As Sunsilver stated, HD can’t be cured. It does not matter how this misinformation came about. What does matter is for you to get the correct info so you can make the best medical decisions for you and your girl.

Being unable to walk and being heavily sedated is just making the pain barely tolerable. I would go back to you vet and ask for an orthopedic referral for a second opinion so you can start a course of action that will give her more quality of life.

Were xrays taken?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yes, definitely, since this is a recent turn for the worse, new x-rays need to be taken to see what's happening!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts