German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, im totally new to dog world :D , i have a cute 4 months gsd female and 2 weeks ago i posted her pic in some forum, the comments were that she has hip displasia :eek: so my question is can u diagnose hip displasia just from the look of her legs or how she sit?:confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Let me start by saying that I'm no expert, but want to say that many people say my dog has hip or leg problems due to the typical, angular shape for this breed. People who don't know GSD often mistake hip problems with the sometimes extreme rear angles or silly way the pups sit on their bottoms. I believe that only an x-ray could provide the data needed to diagnose hip disp.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
the only way to truly tell if a dog has HD and the level of it, is xrays..A 4mth old puppy is "sloppy" anyway, I wouldn't panic about it at this point..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well

it runs like a bunny, sits like a frog and here some pics of her..
if it cant be diagnosed unless by x-ray, should i do her an xray or just forget about it untill she grows
and if she already has it, can it be treated?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Those photos look like a 100% normal puppy. Only video MAYBE would tell us more.

The reason we pay and go to a responsible breeder is exactly for situations like this. Did the parent dogs have good hips/xrays? How are the littermates doing? What does your breeder say?

:)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You'd need to get x-rays, that is how hip dysplasia is diagnosed or ruled out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those photos look like a 100% normal puppy. Only video MAYBE would tell us more.

The reason we pay and go to a responsible breeder is exactly for situations like this. Did the parent dogs have good hips/xrays? How are the littermates doing? What does your breeder say?

:)
well, i cant contact my breeder cause my puppies parents comes from germany and i live in egypt and i got my puppy as a gift:wild:
but i asked my cousin who got to see its parents and he said that there were absolutely nothing wrong with them

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You should not do xrays until your puppy is older since they will grow and change over time. If your puppy is falling all the time or having a very hard time walking I would do it sooner, but I dont think the people telling you your dog has HD because of 2 pics know what they are talking about :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You have a puppywith typical musculature and angulation for its age. I would not worry at this point unless there are serious physical challenges in the dog's movement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should not do xrays until your puppy is older since they will grow and change over time. If your puppy is falling all the time or having a very hard time walking I would do it sooner, but I dont think the people telling you your dog has HD because of 2 pics know what they are talking about :)
well no my puppy doesnt fall and it walks perfectly normal, climbs stairs with no problem even faster than me:D and runs smoothly its just my first time and i have to ask alot if someone told that my pup has HD :eek:
thanks all for ur help :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts