German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love some help on getting started on a couple of things:

I want to get started on rear end awareness with Kias since I'm trying to attain a good heel, but I don't know enough about it to start and what I should focus on first.

I'm also considering reverse and whether I should use a chair method or hind leg targeting. I have no idea how to teach either method.

Since the two are mildly related, I thought I'd ask for help in the same thread. Any tips on how I should teach both targeting and awareness?

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
You teach him how to move his rear end with perch work. Then you lure his head up like in the videos I sent. Look up perch work on youtube. Was your session with Ronnie canceled due to the virus?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I would love some help on getting started on a couple of things:

I want to get started on rear end awareness with Kias since I'm trying to attain a good heel, but I don't know enough about it to start and what I should focus on first.

I'm also considering reverse and whether I should use a chair method or hind leg targeting. I have no idea how to teach either method.

Since the two are mildly related, I thought I'd ask for help in the same thread. Any tips on how I should teach both targeting and awareness?
I forget, are you training this with an eye toward competing, or just as a companion-type skill?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was cancelled. Hopefully competing, but even if that doesn't happen I definitely would like the skill.

Who @Jax08 do you suggest for YouTube perch work?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to look for one for you.
Oh no, don't take your time to do that. I'll just use my brain today and go searching. Probably I can find something with Michel Ellis or one of the other big, reputable trainers.

So rear end awareness and targeting comes after perch work? Is there any foundation games or training I can do to get him started and familiar?

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
perchwork teaches rear end awareness. They don't know they can move their butts independently of their front. Look on Dave Kroyer's site. In fact, with this pandemic happening, you should sign up for him. You don't know when you'll be able to get Ronnie in now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I started by having Ole walk across a ladder on its side. It took him a while to get the hang of lifting his hind feet enough to avoid hitting the rungs and placing his feet on the ground between them. We also did a fair bit of rock climbing and climbing over and along fallen trees. Turning around on slippery trees really helped him learn balance and body positioning in a fun way.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
I started by having Ole walk across a ladder on its side. It took him a while to get the hang of lifting his hind feet enough to avoid hitting the rungs and placing his feet on the ground between them. We also did a fair bit of rock climbing and climbing over and along fallen trees. Turning around on slippery trees really helped him learn balance and body positioning in a fun way.
She's looking for something different specifically for heeling position. But what you did is a GREAT confidence builder.

·
Registered
376 Posts
+1, I also thought of it as building the foundation for heelwork. After Ole seemed comfortable climbing, there was a pretty significant change in his gait. At first, he treated his hind end like an oversized trailer :( After some climbing work, he started to use his hind end and legs as points of contact when moving.

My thinking was based on how a herd of wild horses can run full speed across a field of gopher holes without tripping. Somehow, while running full tilt across the field they somehow manage to be aware of where the gopher holes are and how to position their feet to avoid them.

After the initial climbing work, I drew a tik tac toe board on the driveway. Every once in a while we practice turning both clockwise and counterclockwise with me standing in the center using the lines to keep us straight. He finds it pretty boring, a minute every couple of days seems to help him focus on his postioning.

The perch work is still on our todo list :) I was going to go with the Michael Ellis heelwork material at Focused Heeling w/ Michael Ellis . I'll check out Dave Kroyer's site. I don't think I have heard of him before.

But, for us, we are not going to compete. Just fun stuff to keep potty breaks interesting for me since I don't have a fenced yard.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
ahh...now the second part (the tic tac toe board) and the turning is rear end awareness that teaches him to get into position. Try putting him in a heel position and move sideways away from him and bring him into position so he learns to sidestep. Then put him in front of you, centered, and sidestep

Dave is amazing. The dog he is using in many of his Free Video sessions is my girl's half brother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts