German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my vet put my 3.5 yo male GSD on PD Potatoe and Venison due to pretty common very soft stools a few months ago. Vet said he likely was reacting to something in his regular food (Eukanuba Large dogs). It seemed to work pretty good most of the time now, and they are usually pretty firm and he has maintained his weight of about 86-88 lbs.

My question is this (2 actually of them) does anybody know what weight the big bag of Prescription Diet is as i could not find a weight on the bag?

Second question - does anybody know of a good comparable food that I don't have to buy from the vet?

I have seen a couple of different brands that claim to be potatoe and venison so I am curious if anyone has any experience with some of them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I think the big bag is 40 pounds.

I'm pretty sure Natural Balance has a Limited Ingredient Diet with Venison and Potato.

My guy was on the Hills PRescription Diet as well for soft stools and diarrhea. He did well on it for about 4 months and then all of a sudden his soft stools returned and he lost weight again. After trying many foods that didn't help him I switched to Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach and he's been doing great.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm pretty sure Natural Balance has a Limited Ingredient Diet with Venison and Potato.

My guy was on the Hills PRescription Diet as well for soft stools and diarrhea. He did well on it for about 4 months and then all of a sudden his soft stools returned and he lost weight again. After trying many foods that didn't help him I switched to Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach and he's been doing great.
Thanks! Did your vet say anything to you when the softness returned? Or when you switched to Purina?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks! Did your vet say anything to you when the softness returned? Or when you switched to Purina?
When the diarrhea returned I took him to a new vet because I didn't feel my vet was helping us at all. My new vet tested for EPI and SIBO and he came out positive for SIBO. I treated with a month of Tylan powder and switched him to the Pro Plan on the advice of another poster who has an IBD dog. My new vet supports the Pro Plan because it's helping him, he finally gained weight, and has decent poop. He hasn't had diarrhea in months. I tried a lot of the better quality foods but they just didn't work for him.

Sometimes it just takes experimentation to find out what works for your dog. For me it took a while but I'm glad I finally found something.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
None of the SD foods are 40 lbs anymore.. I know, unfortunately I work at a clinic where we sell all of the SD foods, prescriptions, etc. The biggest bag of anything is 37.5 and those are the regular diets, the prescription ones are that or less. They just made another big price jump and have continued to up the price and make the bags smaller. They have 3.5 or 4lb for used to be 5lb, 7.5 or 8lb for what used to be 10lb, 17.5 for 20lb and 37.5 for 40 lb.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts

Listen to FuzzyBunny

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sable123:

The OP's dog is currently doing well on a venison and potato diet and he/she simply asked if there was another venison and potato diet available that was not a Hills Science Diet prescription diet. That is the information that I gave.

My own GSD with inflammatory bowel disease eats Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach kibble and gets Tylan powder daily. There is no reason that this is not an option for the OP, however, I saw no reason to suggest this if change of kibble and protein since the dog in the original post is currently tolerating venison and potato.

I provided the original poster with the information that they requested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts