German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this before? Thor has been having stomach problems since we rescued him 5 months ago. The vet put him on it yesterday. Just wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with this food.

I thought Solid Gold was expensive - oye! This stuff is DOUBLE the price. Yikes - but that's OK - as long as it helps him!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I used the feline version for my cat for years. Yes, it works but keep in mind that this is a prescription food that was not really meant to be used long term. Take a look at the ingredients. You won't be impressed.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know - that's why I was shocked when the vet said Thor would have to stay on it from now on if it works. I was so happy with Solid Gold. Their coats looked great and they seemed to be healthy. It's just poor Thor has had tummy problems since we have adopted him. And on a side note - the i/d food smells horrible!!! It smells like cheap, gross dog food. :-(

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have nothing good to say about any kind of Hills food! I work with a girl who had a dog on this stuff and it almost killed her. She was told the dog was allergic to meat??? Really??? I convinced her to just try a high end food and she was amazed at the difference. I really wish vets had more knowledge on nutrition but unfortunatly what little they do have was brought to you by...you guessed it Hills!!!

What kind of issues is your dog having?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The weird thing is my vet feeds his dog Solid Gold also. I feed my dogs Solid Gold Hundenflucken. They also said that Thor anxiety level might be so high that it's upsetting his stomach. They were talking of putting him on doggie prozac (sp?). He is high strung. He's very mouthy with the kids, hubby and I. (We are using the spray bottle - it seems to work - he doesn't like water). But he's always panting and doesn't seem to rest comfortably. I've had him at the vet and he's had all his tests, etc... Everything seems to be ok. So the vet said to try this food because it's much easier on his system. I just think Solid Gold is much much better.

Since we have adopted Thor 5 months ago, he has had diarrhea most of the time. Explosive at times. I feel bad because he must be very uncomfortable. I don't know if he's eaten a bug or something that will make him sick. (He tries to eat everything)! We watch him and are usually outside with him but you know how it is - can't actually keep eyes on him 24/7. And at night when everyone is comfortable and resting - he seems to pant on and off.

I did buy the food and was going to try him on it. Tonight I gave him boiled chicken and rice to eat. Then I'll start easing him into the new food I guess. .... I just don't want to switch off the Solid Gold but I want him to feel better. What to do...what to do...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
You could probably try a limited ingredient dog food if there's an allergy to something in the food, but since the vet seems to think it's due to anxiety, then that probably wouldn't help.

I would personally wait to get him on the prozac, or whatever your vet was going to give for his anxiety before trying the new food. If you switch the food and try the prozac and his stools get better, then you won't know which it was. Plus, I wouldn't want to feed that.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I used SD i/d with Zappa for a couple of months back when he was getting tested for SIBO, EPI, etc. It did help a little bit. I switched him over to Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato and he did much better (with exception of ear infections). The biggest thing was getting him treated for his SIBO. Has Thor been tested for anything?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You have the option of feeding the I/D or feeding home cooked chicken/burger and rice; both are bland options and that's what the vet is going for. There is nothing wrong with feeding this for the short term if you don't want to cook. It will tell you if your dog's problem is an upset stomach.

Just because Solid Gold is considered a good food, if your dog isn't doing well on it, it's not. Your dog may have a food sensitivity, fat intolerance, or needs more or less fiber than he's getting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts