German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working the last three nights and work again tonight, so I feel like I'm ignoring sabo. :( he's not alone, has hubby and kids, but he's bonded hard to me. I want to go hiking tomorrow- not major, just a good walk on a trail- he's 17 weeks now. Is that ok? We usually do 1/2-1 mile walks on the sidewalks, is a hike ok? Kids will be with me so it will be nice and slow, and I'll have a backpack with water.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
218 Posts
My puppy is the same age. We went out this evening and hiked off leash on the trails for about an hour. She was off leash so able to stop and go as needed and did not have any trouble. I can't say how far it was but I went by time. I don't think it should be an issue for your puppy if he is normally pretty active and allowed to take breaks as needed and don't try to go too far.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
do the 1/2 mile to a mile on the hike.

I've been working the last three nights and work again tonight, so I feel like I'm ignoring sabo. :( he's not alone, has hubby and kids, but he's bonded hard to me. I want to go hiking tomorrow- not major, just a good walk on a trail- he's 17 weeks now. Is that ok?

>>>> We usually do 1/2-1 mile walks on the sidewalks, is a hike ok?<<<<

Kids will be with me so it will be nice and slow, and I'll have a backpack with water.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hikes are great for puppies! When Chama was 12 weeks old I took her backpacking for a couple of weeks. We were doing anywhere from 4 to 8 miles a day in the mountains of Colorado. She did great! She was well acclimated to hiking at that point--she started when she was about 7 weeks old! :p Just in case anyone wants to make an argument about joints: Chama lived to be 14+ years old and was super active right up until the last few years.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we did it!!! We got half a mile into it and he was slowing down and wanting to sit more, so we turned around for a total of one mile he did great! Ran into a few other hikers and their dogs- a tired dog is a non-reactive dog! We moved to the side, I put him in a sit, and the other dogs passed us. Some whining, but none of the tough-guy act. His panting did worry me some- it wound be "pant, pant, pant, HUFF-HUFF, pant pant pant"....I think I worry A LOT!!! ImageUploadedByPG Free1374971088.588386.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1374971101.987650.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1374971116.886794.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1374971128.887901.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts