German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to take Gunnar hiking in the mountains with us whenever we go. I wanted some ideas on whats some good htings to bring along for him? Like should I bring a first aid kit for him? and whats a good one to buy or whats good to have in it? any other ideas you have would be great too!! Already buying a collapsible water bowl to bring along for him.
oh and the hikes would only by like 7 miles round trip max. I cant make it further then that! lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I take Sasha on a day hike (about the same distances you are) I bring a collapsible water bowl and some of her treats to give her something yummy while I sit and eat my lunch :p. depending on the terrain, I also bring some ruff wear booties just in case she were to get a "flat tire" somehow. Make sure you also have a flea/tick preventative as well. A doggy safe mosquito repellent is great too, also depending on where you are going. Have fun!!! Hiking is my favorite bonding activity to do with my girl. Not to mention, mentally relaxing for me too!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I take Sasha on a day hike (about the same distances you are) I bring a collapsible water bowl and some of her treats to give her something yummy while I sit and eat my lunch :p. depending on the terrain, I also bring some ruff wear booties just in case she were to get a "flat tire" somehow. Make sure you also have a flea/tick preventative as well. A doggy safe mosquito repellent is great too, also depending on where you are going. Have fun!!! Hiking is my favorite bonding activity to do with my girl. Not to mention, mentally relaxing for me too!
Awesome! Thank you! I bought a collapsible water bowl on amazon, which will be delivered today. and I already have everything else you said to bring. I think we should be good to go! I'm a little out of shape and have a feeling he will be pulling me up the trail! haha

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Good suggestions above.

I like to bring benadryl just in case he has an allergic reaction to a bug bite, etc.

We hike alot and my boy has a backpack so he can carry his owns stuff! LOL

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Ever since Daktoa tore her paw pad I throw in some vet wrap. We have the approach back pack and she carries the water bottles, her bowel, a small first aid kit.

I also make sure that I either attach a bell around her collar or make sure her tags clang in areas that have bears/deer/moose.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good suggestions above.

I like to bring benadryl just in case he has an allergic reaction to a bug bite, etc.

We hike alot and my boy has a backpack so he can carry his owns stuff! LOL
Depending on how he does I want to eventually get him his own backpack. He drinks alot of water and I dont want to always have to carry around enough water for me and for him!
And thanks for the suggestion. I think I will add some benadryl to the first aid kit I bought for him. (Just normal benadryl right?)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
For hiking I keep liquid benadryl on hand...for us as well.

A co-worker was camping when his lab ran over a hornets nest in the ground. He was swelling instantly all over & had a ton of stings. Luckily he thought fast and chugged the benadryl down the dogs throat while they were on the way to the ER. The vet said it did save the dogs life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts