German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go hiking every summer up in north Georgia on the Appalachian mtns. I do around 75 to 100 miles every time. My german shephard is 11 months old, and still filling out.

I was wondering what you opinions were for him hiking with me, he is well enough trained for it. I'm just concerned health wise how he'd handle it. My gut is telling me to wait another year for him.

Any feedback at all would help me out. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Would he be carrying any weight? I would not put packs on him at that age.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think that is too young for the distances you are describing. Especially with the potential heat depending on your route. my dog gets tired even in 75 degree weather after a while. Can you start with an empty pack and see how he does on day hikes first?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Ive taken him on 6 hour hikes before, just never back to back days. He also, didn't have a pack on then. Im most likely not going to take him and wait another year of maturing, unless he really convinces me other wise.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If he is in shape for hiking he will be absolutely fine. My Chama started backpacking with me in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado when she was 3 months old. She did great! She also lived to be over 14 years old and was still hiking until she was 12.

If you do put a pack on him I would keep it light.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My family is going to Ellijay GA for a week in a cabin and I plan on doing a little hiking with Zoey. Im going to be getting her the Ruff Wear Palisades pack and Ruff Wear Vibram booties. She will be 16 1/2 months old and will be carrying her own water, food, treats, and accessories. She had been doing at least 30 minutes a day of consistent running (playing fetch with the Chuck It) for some stamina. We don't plan on doing anywhere near the amount of hiking you are though, maybe only 10-15 miles total.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
trust the gut. i would wait untill my dog was 2 yrs old before hiking the distance you're planning. i would work my dog up to that distance. i
definitely wouldn't let my dog carry a pack untill he was 2 yrs old or older.
find out how much weight a dog can carry.

QUOTE=mmaier941;3483058]I go hiking every summer up in north Georgia on the Appalachian mtns. I do around 75 to 100 miles every time. My

>>>>> german shephard<<<<

is 11 months old, and still filling out.

I was wondering what you opinions were for him hiking with me, he is well enough trained for it. I'm just concerned health wise how he'd handle it.

>>>>> My gut is telling me to wait another year for him.<<<<<

Any feedback at all would help me out. Thanks![/QUOTE]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts