German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
dogfriendly.com usually has some places to go. National Forests are a good place to try as well. Those are two of my starting places when I go somewhere new. I also usually hit REI and buy a hiking book or two for the area.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Taughannock Falls is a short but nice hike. There's usually a ton of people in the spring/summer. Across the road from the trail entrance is one of the finger lakes and a bunch of grills and beach area. I always go once or twice a year and have a blast.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
No clue about places near you, but I just wanted to say "HAVE FUN".

Stark and I do a lot of hiking year round and it is so much fun. I really enjoy hiking with him, it's so relaxing... even when it is in the negatives.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taughannock Falls is a short but nice hike. There's usually a ton of people in the spring/summer. Across the road from the trail entrance is one of the finger lakes and a bunch of grills and beach area. I always go once or twice a year and have a blast.
I saw that! I think it's only a couple hours from me. There are several places on the Finger Lakes I found. Thanks for the recommendation!!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If you go to your local book store, you should be able to find hiking guides for your local area in the local books section.

When we lived in Virginia, we found books specifically about local hikes with dogs - unfortunately, I don't recall what the series was called. They did have a website and guide books for most areas, so maybe there is one for the areas you want to hike?

We also had some of the regular hiking books that listed local parks and trails, and those also say whether dogs are allowed or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dogfriendly.com is amazing! I've been looking at that site for dog friendly hotels when I go to another state for a wedding a couple of months. I've never taken Speedy (and also Satin now) out of the state and that was one thing I've always wanted to do. And take them to the beach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts