German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long and hard do you hike with puppies and when?

DH and I are avid climbers and am curious what timeline we should be on for the future new puppy and the amount to do with him.

We generally do a couple High Peaks in the summer, and would like to this summer as well, but am not sure if a young-ish puppy could handle it. Obviously pace would be slow--we're not talking about running on pavement. But Long and steep.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You need to look at your pup to decide how far he can go. So long as you build up to longer and steeper distances, just watch your pup and don't push him. If he's getting tired or quits, you have gone too far.

Your new pup probably won't be going all that far or fast for the first couple of months. By about six months, with proper building up to it, he should be handle just about anything if you are going slow and willing to stop for breaks on the steep stuff.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Elaine pretty much put it perfectly! It's amazing how far they can go by 6 months if you started early and at an appropriate level.

Key really is if you can go off leash because you can really see and judge how you should progress. :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've been hiking off leash with Stosh since he was about 6 mos old thanks to your videos! We started out with the few hills in the backyard and he soon became very well muscled in the hips and chest. Now he can take a steep hills like a deer! When he needs to recover he gets into that steady even trot with his head lowered a bit on the level paths. I agree, being off leash makes the difference.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
AND............ you better take lots of pictures! My favorites include lots of mudpuppies!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Off topic- man I just love those Wildhaus dogs! Such beauties!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
LOL I love that video and agree with wildo gorgeous pups.

Also definitely agree with all the advice about building up to it and the pup doing just great also I have personally seen the HUGE difference between on and off leash and definitely recommend off leash if at all possible I know it's hard and sometimes we have to have a leash on but just let her drag it but its worth it IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts