German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very strong probability that I may need to hire a behaviorist on a dog that may be adopting me in a couple of days. He was beaten and does show aggression, but is showing to the people at the shelter that he can be okay and has a lot of potential with the right home.

If I need one, I want to be prepared. I do not procrastinate about things and always having a solution for a "what if" scenario.
It doesn't matter where in the U.S this trainer is at. I will pay for their flight, fees, and stay in my home for a week to help guide us if this need arises.
Anyone you can suggest?
Thanks in advance.
Eileen

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Most trainers are simply not going to do that- search for one in your area. If you tell us where you live I'm sure a few members will know someone close by:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Most trainers are simply not going to do that- search for one in your area. If you tell us where you live I'm sure a few members will know someone close by:)
I have, there is no one. That is why I would be willing to pay for someone's time, travel fees, etc. IF needed.
I live in Peterstown WV. Bordering VA.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I should add on the Peaceable Paws website there are several lists of behaviorists in the area and surrounding states so check those out as well:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All paws up for Peacable Paws!!!!! I was going to recommend them since they aren't too far away from you.
I agree! I researched their website last night and liked what I saw. No prong collars, etc. Positive reinforcement with food after using a clicker device.
If I get this guy, which I am guessing I will (unless he doesn't like me) I may first ask to pay them for an over the phone consultation if needed. A lot depends on Nick. I want to give him a few days to somewhat settle in and go from there.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would also recommend Theresa Richmond. She just recently relocated from Upstate, NY to Culpeper, VA. I know it's bit more of a drive for you, but she helped me a lot after I adopted Phoenix. She knows all about gsds and malinois as those are the main dogs she's owned throughout her life.

She just got her new website up and running, but isn't as informative as her old one when she was up here. She believes in positive training methods and a certified Volhard trainer.

Mahogany Ridge Your Dog's Training Center

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would also recommend Theresa Richmond. She just recently relocated from Upstate, NY to Culpeper, VA. I know it's bit more of a drive for you, but she helped me a lot after I adopted Phoenix. She knows all about gsds and malinois as those are the main dogs she's owned throughout her life.

She just got her new website up and running, but isn't as informative as her old one when she was up here. She believes in positive training methods and a certified Volhard trainer.

Mahogany Ridge Your Dog's Training Center
Diana,
I just called and left a message on her voicemail. Thank you very much.
Eileen

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Eileen, you are very welcome. I have to tell you that I really like Theresa. She first of all has an innate understanding of dogs, not to mention YEARS of experience. She had Phoenix pegged within five minutes of meeting us and gave me great advice on how to handle his "issues". I can't say enough good things about her.

I must say, upstate NY's loss is VA's gain!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts