German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diesel has very low interest in any toy other than his flirt pole. I really need something smaller that has really high value to him for training and reward that I can carry more easily, its impossible to have two hands free and carry it around. For those who have flirt pole obsessed dogs such as I do, have you found any other toy that creates a really high drive as well? Diesel will jump through a hoop backwards for the flirt pole but any other toy has very little interest in. Tried balls, squeaky toys, tug ropes, and he will chase it but thats it, he doesnt want to pick it up / tug / or do anything else with it... Help me out here trainer really wants to get away from the flirt pole being used as a reward and I cant find anything that he finds high value like the flirt pole.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Have you tried a ball or toy on a tug? I have a firehose tug with a rubber ring on it and Delgado goes nuts for it. It's a longer tug so you could swing it around a bit like a flirtpole but is much more portable lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried a ball or toy on a tug? I have a firehose tug with a rubber ring on it and Delgado goes nuts for it. It's a longer tug so you could swing it around a bit like a flirtpole but is much more portable lol
Ball means nothing to him getting him to chase it is like asking a fish to walk.... Can you post a picture of the toy you are talking about? Can I buy it or did you make it?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Ball means nothing to him getting him to chase it is like asking a fish to walk.... Can you post a picture of the toy you are talking about? Can I buy it or did you make it?
The toy is just something for the dog to target, an enticement. It could be anything from a ball, foxtail, or in this case a rubber ring that they grab while you're playing

I actually found mine at Walmart one day of all places:

6 in. Rough and Rugged Fire Hose Tug Dog Toy with Ring: Dogs : Walmart.com

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
With skill, the value of the toy is created by you, not the toy

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With skill, the value of the toy is created by you, not the toy
I will admit I have no idea what to do to create the value. I have even stooped as low as to lay down on the ground and play with toys to try and get him to be interested... This is the face I get (taken in the car but just about the same when I am rolling around on the ground biting a freakin toy LOL)

Mom.... I am so not thrilled....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have you tried squeaky stuffed animals? My boy absolutely LOVES his stuffed animals. And they sell ones that are small'ish in size (but not so small that they're a choking hazard), and they are easy to carry in one hand and reward quickly. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I will admit I have no idea what to do to create the value. I have even stooped as low as to lay down on the ground and play with toys to try and get him to be interested... This is the face I get (taken in the car but just about the same when I am rolling around on the ground biting a freakin toy LOL)

Mom.... I am so not thrilled....
I get that face a lot too.. :) My boy absolutely hates training.. He will do everything in his power to avoid even looking at me the moment I give a command when we're outside. Indoors is totally different, but outdoors, he'd much rather be sniffing, watching the birds, ANYTHING but doing OB. However, when I do use his squeaky stuffed toys, I find that he is quite a big more excited and attentive. Not 100%, but definitely more than otherwise.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried squeaky stuffed animals? My boy absolutely LOVES his stuffed animals. And they sell ones that are small'ish in size (but not so small that they're a choking hazard), and they are easy to carry in one hand and reward quickly. :)
He really has no interest in a squeaky toy. I have tried balls that squeak, stuffed animals that squeak, balls that are covered in what looks like a stuffed animal and squeak he will pick it up, drop it, and walk away. :mad:

I get that face a lot too.. :) My boy absolutely hates training.. He will do everything in his power to avoid even looking at me the moment I give a command when we're outside. Indoors is totally different, but outdoors, he'd much rather be sniffing, watching the birds, ANYTHING but doing OB. However, when I do use his squeaky stuffed toys, I find that he is quite a big more excited and attentive. Not 100%, but definitely more than otherwise.
He doesnt mind training as long as I am being fair and not losing my temper he will train for hours if he is being rewarded with the flirt pole. Which is why I am trying to find a toy that has equal value to him. It no joke that I have rolled around on the ground chewing his toys to try and give him some interest (dont judge lol :eek: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts