German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of training treats (if any) do you use for your dogs? I've recently starting clicker training with Rocky & Shelby (it's going GREAT!!), but Rocky has a sensitive stomach, so I have to be careful what kind of treats I'm using. I've heard that bits of hot dog work really well, but I did have one of my other dogs get sick on those once, so I'm a little leary of that. Any other suggestions? I've been using bits of bread and Rocky's food, but I'd like something of higher value when we're working on behavior issues.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I made some Chicken liver treats and cut them up really small. Kiah is crazy for them so they are what I use as high value.

I have to warn you that my home stunk when baking these. If you want the recipe, PM me.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We made deer jerky to use as treats. And we also use ringwurst/Lyoner.
Making treats from liver is always a hit for the dogs although our noses take a punch making it.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I also use the chicken liver treats that you bake...for extra special treats I use cheese. But she'll do pretty much anything for the liver treats...and the recipe (it's under the recipe section) makes a TON for like $3.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I could not use hotdogs as it gave my girl the runs.
I could not use ring wurst either same thing.

I use a dog wurst made in a german deli now works great and acts like crack to dogs. For a while I was making chicken hearts but I learned
Chicken hearts make doggy farts! Real bad!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! The chicken liver treats sound like a good bet...I'll check that out...don't know how much I'd like the stink though! Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Here's the recipe I use, I cut down the garlic powder though since it's all still so wishy washy on garlic and dogs:

Liver Brownies
20 oz. chicken livers
2 cups flour
2 tbsp. garlic powder

Puree livers in processor
Add flour and garlic powder, process until smooth. It will be thick, like brownie dough.

Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray with Pam. Pour the dough into the prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes
Cool. Cut into squares. Freeze.
Will keep ~3months in freezer, 3 days in fridge.

The smell goes away eventually, I usually do this on weekends when I can open up some windows. I cut it into little squares and it makes about 4 sandwich bags full!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
We use the dehydrated lambs lung also. Can be found at some of your non-chain pet food stores.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The natural balance dog food rolls work great for us also. Easy to cut into tiny treats and its like having doggie crack. They Loooove it. Also no stinky hands when you are done.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Freeze dried liver (you can cut it into small pieces).

Liver "Crack" - boil beef liver and garlic till done. Place on baking sheet and bake at 300 for 20-30 min or "leathery". Cut up small (pizza cutter works great) and freeze.

Plain, cooked chicken, cut up small.

Brunschwager.

Hot dogs - sliced and quartered and microwaved till toasty.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oh my dog too!!!!!!! She can't eat any kibble so I have to be really creative. I use cheese, chicken, hamburger, bread, hot dog, ham, beef, ball, turkey, turkey, turkey, chicken, chicken, chicken!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts