German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

What do you guys use for high value training tidbits?

I've been using turkey dogs sliced like pennies at our training classes, and I think Marshall is getting a bit tired of them. I'm looking to mix it up.

We're working hard on competition heeling too, so I really need something high value!

What do you guys use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Obie is a peanut butter fiend. When we are working on heeling, sometimes I dipped my thumb in pb, let him sniff for a sec, and then heel away. Works pretty well and it's easy to reward him - just let him lick my thumb for a few sec after an exercise.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I keep an eye on the meat sales area in the store... a roast cooked up and sliced into tiny bits is very exciting for Rune. When I dont have time I have also bought one of those small cooked turkey breasts over by the hams in the meat section. For 4-5 bucks I have many days of higher value training treats without much time invested. For both I make tiny bites and freeze what I dont immediately use in training session sized baggies.

COSTCO type clubs have those big bags of string cheese that I cube into tiny bites... my other dogs find that high value, Rune is less impressed. I also found a great freeze dried salmon dog treat that is a bit stinky (which the dogs like) but small and not messy at all to handle... and makes a good change up when you want something special...Google on Wildside Salmon

everyday training I use the meat rolls from Natural Balance... most of my dogs think that is great.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I used to use Hotdogs cooked in the microwave but Denali didn't go crazy over those.
I found some stinky treats called Wellness just for puppies and she loves them. There's about 50, quarter sized pieces in the bag. I cut each of the treats into 6-9 pieces. (Took a while...)
She also loves American cheese, but it melts while i'm outside in 90 degree weather and is too messy for me, so I don't use it often.
Honey ham (Or any type of ham really) from the deli is another that my all my dogs like.

Never used those Natural Balance rolls, I might give them a try too! I've been curious ever since I saw them at Petco.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have used only Natural Balance rolls (lamb and rice) cut up into small chunks for years now and all my dogs go nuts over them. I only use them for training and they have yet to get tired of them.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
The two at the top of my list"

Bake chicken breast
Natural Balance rolls
String cheese (Though not on warm/hot days!)

I use other lesser value treats.

You want to identify a couple of treats to use as high value and then mix them up so the dog keeps his interest and doesn't get bored/conditioned to one or the other. Of course with my two, I think anything that can go into their tummies they would consider high value.

Peanut butter is great too, but I keep that for the "pay attention to me and not that other dog running fast crazy around the course and close to you!" work.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I also use turkey dogs. Dakota started getting tired of them. I tried little chunks of chedder cheese which he loves but man are they messy! Now I cut up a turkey dog and a few little tidbits of cheese and mix them up so he never knows what he will get.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to try those Natural Balance rolls.

They're available at Petco or the like?

I also will mix it up...mix a baggie of sliced turkey dogs and string cheese chunks...he likes both but I'm just looking for something new.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Natural Balance rolls are great. Any place that sells NB food should have them, including Petco. REALLY high value treats I've used for the most distracting environments are meatballs (cooked frozen meatballs are available in bags at Costco & Trader Joes) or peanut butter in a squeeze tube. But usually I use NB rolls, Zuke's Mini Naturals, Yummy Chummies (salmon flavor treats), Solid Gold Jerkey, and Plato treats. Most of them need to be cut up in advance, the Zukes are the only ones that are the right size, but other than the NB roll, they don't need refrigeration.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use a "mixed bag" of treats - cut up hotdogs, cut up string cheese, oyster crackers, mini cheddar cheese fish crackers and cherrios. I put them in a baggie, shake them up and the dogs don't know what they are going to get! They LOVE the fish crackers.

How about cat food? It comes in very small pieces, and pretty stinky (IMO).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meatballs sound yummy...

1 for you...good fuss...now...one for me!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Right now, I'm using freeze dried chicken liver. Nice and stinky to get their attention!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Last night I discovered Obie will do anything for little balls of peanut butter sandwich with wheat bread (though I'm sure he is not particular about what kind of bread). He even "sat pretty" for me like a stupid little sheltie!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know it was already said, but the meatballs have been amazing for us in very distracting areas. I have also used chicken nuggets, left over from daughters lunch one day, those worked very well. Another high value treat for Chico is boiled chicken liver. It is stinky enough to get his attention anytime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I make a lot of treats for my dog.

Top of the list is chicken. I buy raw chicken filets and cut them into small cubes and then dry them in the owen (ca100`celcius)
Any other meat can be used the same way:)

I make meatballs from grounded (ehh probably not) meat mixed with eggs (500gr meat=1 raw Egg) (dropp small raw meatballs in boiling water and voila - the fattstenched water may then be used to top the meal

I have treat like this in my freezer that are made of Chicken, Turky, Ox, Pig, Deer, Reindeer, Elk, Moose, Rabbit, Lamb, and Whale (sorry if I offend anyone with that)

And I have a dog that is Trainomaniac

·
Registered
326 Posts
Costco has buffalo hot dogs that are uncured. They make Zack *very* smart!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I season water with garlic powder and boil chicken breasts. Cody loves it. It is kind of messy but he loves it. I also use NB rolls but the chicken is the ticket.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally Posted By: marylouI use a "mixed bag" of treats - cut up hotdogs, cut up string cheese, oyster crackers, mini cheddar cheese fish crackers and cherrios. I put them in a baggie, shake them up and the dogs don't know what they are going to get! They LOVE the fish crackers.
Wow, I was just about to write that my girls aren't that picky since they think oyster crackers are the best thing ever, but I see you use them too!

I also use Cheerios...

And I sometimes use Trix. They also love animal crackers (broken into little bits).

Funny though, about the oyster crackers. I thought my dogs were the only ones that loved them (that included my three "old girls" as well)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Grilled chicken breast and grilled hamburger diced/crumbled into little pieces have always topped the list with my dog, she goes to whole new level of desire when they are available.

Hmm and pretty high value for me too come to think of it...

I'll have to try those NB Rolls if they are that good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts