German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I entered Jinks in his first disc dog competition, and he did awesome! He was fast, focused, and had great catches as long as I gave him good throws (which definitely didn't always happen). On Saturday he came in 3rd out of 10 earning a trophy even! On Sunday he came in 6th out of 17. We had a blast and I learned a lot in our first time out! Pretty awesome for any dog- let along my 9 month old puppy!

Saturday:

Sunday:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Great job, he looked like he was having a blast! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Jinks and Willy did great! I was super impressed when Jinks ran into the crowd, grabbed his frisbee and ran right back to Willy. There were several beginner dogs who got a little distracted by the crowd (or birds that were divebombing everyone) but not Jinks.
It was the first time I have ever attended a dog sport competition and I had a blast watching all the amazing dogs and handlers. Very fun!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes- and Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to Candie for the great company and for taking video for me!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is awesome! I am trying to teach my 6 month old to catch a disc but I don't think I'm a very good teacher as I tend to throw it "curvy" and it ends up rolling on the ground... :D I think I need to learn more skills than he does at this point! Very impressive video! Obviously, you have put a lot of hard work into your pup - beautiful pup by the way! :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!

Beckch: start buy throwing rollers to get your dog interested in chasing (prey) and learning to bite. Also have them tug with the disc to further ingrain the bite. You need them to want to attack the disc and bite hard. When they are soft-mouthed (like Jinks) you're more likely for the disc to bounce out of their mouth. Also- buy real disc dog discs; they fly a billion times better than cheapy frisbees.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you, Wildo! I am looking at "roller Frisbees" on Ebay now... there are some labeled for golf and some for dogs but it seems that they are the same - I am assuming the beginner would be what I need? (Obviously hee hee:D) I'm going to order some of these and see how "we" do with throwing and catching. If I can throw these and keep them in the air long enough for him to jump and grab, I think we will be well on our way! I may come back to this post if we still don't have success after a few weeks, lol!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look at Hero USA on Amazon. Get Hero Xtra 235's if you want a nice cheap plastic dog disc. They are nice. If you want to spend a bit more and get something more long lasting- then get Hero Super Aero discs for a soft mouthed dog, or Hero Super Hero for an mouthy dog. The Super Hero is also easier to throw than the Super Aero.

Don't use disc golf discs.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Way to go! Congrats on the trophy! :)

I tried playing frisbee with my dog this weekend, I CANNOT throw, and one time it unfortunately landed near a pile of horse poo (I live on a farm) well I don't need to tell you how that one ended, with me running at her waving my arms. lol

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That is so awesome Willy. Jinks looks great, I can't believe how big he looks now! :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just bought the rights to this most awesome photo of Jinks from the competition! I'm having it blown up and printed on canvas.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Love that shot!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
You guys make a great team! Congrats! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts