German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cornell Chronicle: Diet can improve detection dogs sniffs

This should be interesting when it comes out.Study being presented this week - would like to read the actual study.

No the corn oil sounds disgusting and would be off long term (inflammation-omega 6)...... but even the top notch foods are about 40% calories from fat.

I have added fat to a high pro high fat dog food as it has improved summer performance but not to the level and only coconut oil about 2TBSP a day.

In this study they added fat to a normal food to dilute out the protein and carb contributions.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I saw a lot of people looked but nobody replied. It is a bit of a paradigm shift - realizing a short term study as well ....

And I wonder about pancreatitis. I have heard mixed things on coconut oil and pancreatitis. Most sporting dog foods are 30/20 and what they are doing ups the oil fraction and takes the protein down to 18. I actually wanted to drop the protein in my own food to around 30% but virtually all 30/20 foods have corn. Right now our diet has about 47% of calories from fat...but the base is a 32-38% protein food.

"Wakshlag designed the high-performance and corn-oil diets to have the same amount of energy from fat (57 percent). But the corn oil diet had less protein: 18 percent compared with 27 percent in the regular and high-performance diets"

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I wonder about the inflammatory properties of corn oil/omega 6. A friend and I discussed, in horses, that the use of corn oil on their feed has been dismissed due to that. Cancer, joint problems and maybe allergies.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, I would most assuredly NOT give corn oil High omega 6. Inflammation city. Just like the feeding trials done on long food it is all short-term stuff! I want the long haul.

Gut what about coconut oil and/or fat from grass fed beef or free range pigs [both with natural omega 3s]? [though both have much less fat in them]..of course rabbits are a natural prey animal and tend to be low fat as are most deer.

My own observation is better heat tolerance in the summer with higher protein and fat foods than with higher carb foods but I always though it was the protein as well as the fat (ie the burning of carbs created more problems for them)--they have some differences in how they metabolize fats than humans do.

And there is the quesiton of endurance work vs sprint work. An old study did show greyhounds did not get the same benefit from high pro as did sled dogs.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/12/2686S.full

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
okay , please send one millyun dollars to .....

not corn oil with high omega 6, probably gmo !
and not low protein .
the source of the "oil" is important . the source of the protein is important . real meat is easy to digest . keep the digestive system in a proper state , don't tax the pancreas with altered oils or difficult to break down protein sources (corn, grain).

many people on personal health agendas are denying their dogs GOOD oils which they need as the canine metabolizes protein and fats . Fats which are important for behavioural balance even.

this is not new information.

just this week I had to put the pedal to the metal to finally get some labels for a new oil joining the line of supplements . not new to me though. I just got so wordy with excitement that we couldn't fit all the info onto the lable size so brochure will have to follow.

Anyway -- Vitamin A - PRO-Vitamin which is from red pigment - carotenoids --- and phosphatides , such as phosphatidylserine which feeds the brain and keeps nasal mucosal areas moist and receptive to scent.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh believe me I would never give corn OR canola! Corn too much omega 6 and GMO and canola GMO - both heavily sprayed with roundup and in line to be sprayed with 2,4D and if they get off the ground with the BT corn. Eeeeeeek. Study is short sighted in terms of health and longevity. I took feeds and feeding in college and it was ALL about rapid growth to market weight with the least amount of food!

I really want to see the paper Interesting on the vitamin A - I know your oil is reddish
Looking forward to the dosing info.

- carrots are full of A (Make good argument for giving cheap organic carrots to chew on)

-phosphatidyl serine - brain is good source - scares of mad cow and various wasting disesse has pulled that from a lot of sources. Soy is also a good source but has other evils....too much can also cause blood thinning problems.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
"phosphatidyl serine - brain is good source - scares of mad cow and various wasting disesse has pulled that from a lot of sources. Soy is also a good source but has other evils....too much can also cause blood thinning problems"

NOT from cow source -- not from soy either !

when from a plant source in whole food form , NOT an isolate, then you will have Vitamin K right there for the balance !!!!

yes it will all be in Power of 3-EA's - which has lycopene and many other carotenes.

most carrots are poor in carotene when compared to Indian Red carrots indian red carrots - Google Search
I love having all these things available at the ethnic markets close to me . This plus the black/purple carrots --
3B282Beta-Carotene and Vitamin A - the Health Benefits given by carrots

another factor carotene needs a fat to be exploited . plus dogs need the carrot broken down -- liquified for benefits .

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah we have an Indian Grocer not far from us - I should look for these carrot juice for all! I already buy my oriental eggplants and some other things there.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
they are very long and very red , not orange , taste is earthy , not watery like the ones in the usual grocers . If juicing for yourself include some full fat yogurt and make a lassi --

1 - 9 of 9 Posts