German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 gsds- 2 sl and 2 wls- my wls- one year and 3 year old- have developed into high drive dogs who always have to be doing something for sure.
From my perspective these dogs are great and easy to train but do become a PIA over time.
In contrast to my sls who are content to lie around the house.
Ironically my new pup now 1 year old- a Bomber son- was cool calm and lower drive at 6 months when I got him. Now......he can be crazy.

Just wishing my guys had less energy. I do not think I will get a wl again.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I don't want my dogs to 'settle'...when that happens, they are seniors. I'd rather enjoy the exhuberance of youth!
Though my dogs all have off switches that still work.
I will be sad when the on switch dims.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My high drive WL was a "sleeper" as well, very mellow until he was about 6-7 months and then the drive kicked in! Didn't bother me though, I don't get working line dogs to be couch potatoes (or my SL either, that's my lazy old mutt).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did have a great home referred by another breeder friend for my Bomber son but could not let him go- that plain and simple!

·
Banned
367 Posts
Oh wow I was half kidding. I didn't know the OP was actually this exasperated.

A dogs energy is going to be the same until it's old and Grey. Owning more than one high energy/drive dog can definitely take over your life. Fine line between your pets being fun and being a chore.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My one year old working line boy has been a walk in the park since the day i got him. Definitely not lazy by any means and he does need his daily exercise. He turns it on quick when he knows it's acceptable to turn it on and he turns it off when it's time to calm down and settle. He's probably one of the easiest puppies/dogs I've ever owned.

It sounds like the OP just has a little too much on his/her plate.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
People confuse "drive" and just plain old "hyperactive" all the time. They're two completely different things.
Yes, and yet it depends on how the dogs are managed. My dogs are fairly high drive. I don't kennel or crate them. If I did, I'd bet I would see a different dog when it comes to training. My dogs are not destructive nor do they have SA so crating is not necessary when they are unsupervised. Yet they still want to fetch, tug, swim, whatever when I walk thru the door. This video taken tonight was after we did fetch with positions, a bit of freedom then some real ob with heeling/retrieve/control on calling off a critter. Dog wants to work, play interact. And now asleep at my feet. Balance!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dogs settle in the house for sure. Each wl and sl is a different dog alone as opposed to being in a pack never mind with another high drive dog- they feed off each others energy.
I would never have this many dogs if I was not retired and did not have the means to care for them properly. They are a handful to control in a pack- my wife can not do it as I am the pack leader. So yes they are a lot of work including grooming every other day. as she says they are your dogs.

Individually they are all trained very well and one is protection trained but it can and sometimes breaks down in a group setting.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
My dogs settle in the house for sure. Each wl and sl is a different dog alone as opposed to being in a pack never mind with another high drive dog- they feed off each others energy.
I would never have this many dogs if I was not retired and did not have the means to care for them properly. They are a handful to control in a pack- my wife can not do it as I am the pack leader. So yes they are a lot of work including grooming every other day. as she says they are your dogs.

Individually they are all trained very well and one is protection trained but it can and sometimes breaks down in a group setting.
This could improve as they mature. Our WL male has improved as he heads toward 2. His OB is still better by himself or amongst unknown dogs in training class than it is around our other dogs, around them he tends to flake a bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts