German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

did anyone notice any changes in their dogs behavior after being neutered?

did anyone take extra precaution in keeping the dog calm to not harm himself?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I though for sure mine would be on the calmer side right after his neuter, since he was a little older. I couldn't have been more wrong. He was wide awake and ready to go. I did attempt to put him in his crate to rest and by the day after he dismantled it. In that process he stabbed himself with the crate wires. I tossed the crate and did nothing different with him. No cone and not even any pain meds. I didn't have to worry about stairs or him jumping. It's been a month or so and he had calmed down in the sense of aggression and he is more focused on me, obedience has been great. He is more playful, still has tons of energy, and loves his ball more then ever.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I thought it as I typed it, but thought oh they won't go there....I guess I was wrong:D

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
hi all

did anyone notice any changes in their dogs behavior after being neutered?

did anyone take extra precaution in keeping the dog calm to not harm himself?
It is hard to tell changes of behavior in young dogs that are neutered as one does not really have anything to compare it to. Most dogs don't mature until two to three years of age in order to make that determination.

A big attraction to me with intact males is the calm that comes with the confidence of an adult male after maturity.

I once had to have an adult male neutered for health reasons, and the mental and physical differences afterward were quite dramatic and noticeable after having been able to observe him as a fully developed mature dog and the impact that neutering had on him.

His drive did go down, his energy level dropped, his voice changed, his weight distribution changed, his weight composition changed, his metabolism radically changed, he became a mere shell of what he had once been.

·
Super Moderator
32,039 Posts
We had Keefer neutered at 15 months old, and have seen no changes whatsoever. By then he already had a big, blocky, mature looking head (people comment all the time "he has a really big head" :rofl:), and a broad structure.

Now that he's older he's down a few pounds, which I think is good since I'm sure he has less muscle mass at 10-1/2 than he did at 5, but I've never had any trouble keeping him at his optimum lean weight of 80 pounds at maturity. He was 75 pounds at his last vet visit recently. The only differences I've seen in energy and activity have been due to aging, none have been from before and after his neuter.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I never had a problem with Delgado's weight until he was three and I switched him to raw, it took me a few months to balance out the right amount to keep him at his proper weight. But he's one of those dogs that gains one lb but loses two lbs just as quick :rolleyes: If only I had his genetics... haha But on kibble he was always steady and consistent which I always loved and now I know the right amounts for raw it's just as easy

My poodle has always been a porker and always is a struggle to keep extra weight off, but she's built stocky and square too which doesn't work in her favour

·
Registered
245 Posts
My girlfriend had our dog neutered early on (roughly 6 months, when his jewels dropped).

Uhh, yea...no difference in energy and drive. Once the drugs wore off, he had his unlimited energy going again. And when I say he has unlimited energy...I mean 2-3 hours of him going after birds and squirrels in woods and playing/running around with one dog after another. Literally playing with a dog until it is too tired and then running and playing with another until that one is tired. We stop because there isn't enough time in a day for me to let him run for 6 hours. lol And this is on top of his outside time and training at home. He'll sleep good after days like that, but if he sees something fun, he has tons of energy again. Even the time he tried keeping up with a whippet and borzoi in a big open field...he wasn't able to sprint the way they could (he was only about 7 months at the time, too--he was VERY outclassed in speed) but once THEY became tired, the ball was in his court.

And once he reached maturity, his hunting drive seriously took over.

His appetite has always been very big. Both when he was first on kibble, and now that he's on a raw. Always had to feed him a lot to keep weight on him, as you could imagine with his activity level.

I look forward to the days when he losses some of his puppy energy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this definitely sounds like ziggy. we had to board our dog for a weekend and asked the owner to tire him out. she said he played with every dog until they literally rolled over from fatigue. even when i picked him up, he was chasing around dogs that just wanted to lay down.

My girlfriend had our dog neutered early on (roughly 6 months, when his jewels dropped).

Uhh, yea...no difference in energy and drive. Once the drugs wore off, he had his unlimited energy going again. And when I say he has unlimited energy...I mean 2-3 hours of him going after birds and squirrels in woods and playing/running around with one dog after another. Literally playing with a dog until it is too tired and then running and playing with another until that one is tired. We stop because there isn't enough time in a day for me to let him run for 6 hours. lol And this is on top of his outside time and training at home. He'll sleep good after days like that, but if he sees something fun, he has tons of energy again. Even the time he tried keeping up with a whippet and borzoi in a big open field...he wasn't able to sprint the way they could (he was only about 7 months at the time, too--he was VERY outclassed in speed) but once THEY became tired, the ball was in his court.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts