German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel a bit silly asking, but my eyes are crossing from lack of sleep and too much information (think of the Bing Commercials...)

I am searching and searching for a high kcal/cup food with no corn (preferably no grain but I think the corn is what is giving me the ear problems). It appears through research that Orijen has pretty good kcal amounts and no grains (but it is harder to get.. 100 mile drive) however, I am seeing that many people are complaining of very loose stools on it?

Do any of you know of a higher calorie/cup food that is free of corn? Hella is hard to keep weight on and I think I need to get her a higher calorie food but it must not have corn. I had her at a good weight, but the food had corn. Gave her ear trouble again. Switched to another food, no corn, but feeding enough gave her pattys of poo :sick:

I'd rather not have to always have satin balls or supplements (which is next on my list if I can't find something fairly easy to get and hopefully affordable!).

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
If you're willing to risk the product (Now being produced under Proctor & Gamble, makers of Iams and Eukanuba) EVO is high calorie (537 calores per cup for their turkey and chicken formula), low carb and grain free. But like Orijen, it's a "rich" food and needs to be slowly moved to so that the dog doesn't explode.

I'm not sure what you're feeding now so I can't really give any ideas for high calorie products since I don't know what you're starting with. How much are you currently feeding?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I was feeding EVO Red Meat and my dogs were getting fat. I switched to their fish formula for a while which is much lower in calories.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Nature's Logic (beef as an example: Nature's Logic) Calories: 551 kcal/cup is pretty high calorie and my dogs had small stools when on it. They are firm on Orijen and Acana too.

Does Canidae no grain have a lot? ME (kcal/cup) 498 CANIDAE® All Natural Holistic Dog Food - Grain Free All Life Stages dry formula Yes I would say so.

I think sometimes with the Orijen (the LBP), it's hard on PUPPIES or when overfed in adults.

Fromm and Pinncale have some nice foods, not sure their calorie counts.

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
I'm not having any trouble with stools on Orijen. Both dogs love it - Keefer eats the fish formula and Halo eats the regular adult formula.

There's also Canine Caviar, but I don't know if it would be any more available in your area. Their grain free food is a Venison and Pea, with 586 cals per cup, and their Chicken and Millet has 599 cals per cup. None of their foods have corn.

About Us

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
right off hand I don't know the other ingredients, and I'm not a purina fan, however, the Pro Plan Sensitive Skin/Stomache, (salmon based) contains no corn..I put my aussie on it at one point when he was having skin issues...his coat/stools were great, he loved it (course he'd eat anything), his skin issues no problem,,BUT he porked on the weight and I couldn't keep it off him unless I fed 1/4 of a cup a day :)) I couldn't do that to him, he'd have starved..so I switched..

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Earthborne Holistic Primitive Natural is grain free and high calorie. SMALL sized kibble. My dogs love it. Mickey the Siberian Husky just HOOVERS it. I feed him on a baking pan!

·
Registered
514 Posts
No poop issues with Orijen here. I buy it online because no one within 100 miles carry it either.

We switched from Wellness super5mix, good food, but I wanted him on grainless and nothing from China.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Have you done a process of elimination diet or had blood work done to be sure it is corn that is the issue - with processed foods there are a ton of ingredients (okay I exagerate) and any one of them could be an allergan trigger. Meat is the top of the list for allergans over grains...corn being the LOWEST trigger by the way. Not saying it isn't but there is a lot of "fear" out there about corn that is scientifically unfounded.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Nature's Variety is what I feed- the Instinct line is grain free and the different flavors, chicken, duck, rabbit run just under 500 cal/cup. They're introducing a red meat and salmon soon, the red meat naturally having the most calories, but not as high as Orijen red.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts