German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just reading the Agenda for the USA General Board meeting. One of the Officers has proposed changing the name of the "United Schutzhund Clubs of America" to the "United Schaeferhunde Clubs of America". The reason for this is shown below and can be read on the USA web site:

Our organization is a breed club and a sport club, but we are primarily a breed club. Our name, which is key
to our identity and brand, should reflect that. Unfortunately, to the general public, governmental officials, and
activist agencies, the word “Schutzhund” is primarily associated with the protection phase of our sport. That
image can be detrimental to our organization. In today’s highly scrutinized and litigious world we must be
conscientious of our image. This minor but significant change in our name will keep our acronym and brand
intact. USA is the abbreviation of our nation. It is inappropriate that it is the abbreviation for our organization.
It also creates confusion around the world. If you travel or have any type of correspondence outside of this county,
you will find that we are known as USCA. We are referred to as USCA by the SV and the WUSV. If the
following amendments are approved, the name and abbreviation changes will be made throughout the bylaws.)
a. The name of this association shall be “United Schutzhund Clubs of America.”
To:
a. The name of this association shall be “United Schaeferhunde Clubs of America.”

Here is the question. Should we be trying to hide the fact that Schutzhund involves protection work?? Shouldn't we simply do a better job of explaining how important that phase is to testing the dog's temperament? Or, should we continue to try to trick the General Public into believing this is all just a "game"? What will a name change really accomplish? Do you agree the name should be changed and if so, why? If you do not, why not?

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I think "hiding" it would backfire...when you hide there is an air of guilt
education is power and those that have questions should get educated before condemning.
I know the AR's will find something to complain about, but it is a temperament test plain and simple.
I wonder if AKC plays into the proposal...

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
When I posted to my local AKC club's list that I was going to SDA training, there was some backlash. One person hated the name because the last thing the service dog people want is to be associated with "attack dogs".

I gave a nice response about the skills and the testing involved. I explained the value of the temperament of these dogs and said that I considered them of great service and couldn't imagine why someone would not want to be associated with them. I also mentioned the service to humans that may be lost if breeding dogs capable of such activity is abandoned.

I think this was understood pretty well by the dog people. I wondered at the time if the "public" would understand. They might.

Should the name be changed? Maybe it should as they club appears to want to establish itself as the GSD registry and organization here. Should it be changed due to perception and a litigious society? I don't think anyone will be fooled for long. I worry that if we behave as though it is something to hide, that will only make the suspicion of the activity worse.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just read that a bit ago....They probably should since they now declare themselves the keeper of the GSD regardless of how much truth is in that statement. Personally I wish all the alternate breed people would tell the USA to pound sand and just join the DVG.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
The USA is still trying to be the "keeper of the breed" at the WUSV also. The name change will probably give them greater leverage against the GSDCA.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Here is the question. Should we be trying to hide the fact that Schutzhund involves protection work?? Shouldn't we simply do a better job of explaining how important that phase is to testing the dog's temperament?
No and yes..

People, guess that should read some breeders have lost/or ARE losing site at what the true German Shepherd really is or should be.. And it's unfortunate... For me education is always good... but, we also need to focus on those that are breeding this breed to be more of a pet or something it isn't suppose to be..

How can we change peoples minds that are ultimately destroying the breed for money..

Not only do we have to worry about UScA, GSDCA, etc.. but now the government is getting involved w/the whole spay/neutering thing..

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Unfortunately, to the general public, governmental officials, and
activist agencies, the word “Schutzhund” is primarily associated with the protection phase of our sport.
I am betting that to the general public and all others, the word Schutzhund means about as much to them as the word schadenfreude or schwangerschaftverhütungsmittel. I would like to see where they came up with this - actual surveys, polls, scientific processes to determine what people think of when they hear the word or ????

So speaking as a former member of the general public (and now a slightly more educated member of the general public) in terms of my knowledge of Schutzhund, I don't think there needs to be a change for that reason. But my tinfoil hat is at the cleaners. ;)

If you want to present it as the breed club, unless it would be too redundant I would go with a combo to emphasize the breed and the breed test and call it United Schaeferhunde Schutzhund Club of America.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Scary

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I hate political correctness. That's all I'll say on the matter.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I say NO we should not hide the fact that SchH contains protection work. But at the same time, naming the whole "sport" for one phase never made sense to me either. I guess it depends on the reason for the change. If it is truly to make it more understandable, then I don't think it is a big deal.

I side with Jean Schaeferhunde isn't clearer than Schutzhund, so I think it is just an excuse to be politically correct. As long as you are using a German word, the "general public" is going to have to look it up anyway.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This sounds like another attempt to water down our sport. With all of the outside organizations attempting to kill us off, we sure don't need to help them from within.

For a curmudgeonly view on many USA and Schutzhund political positions, check this out:

Schutzhund Information

·
Registered
27,337 Posts

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
He can claim it I guess, as he has a full page ad running for Prez in the SchH USA magazine with a list of his supporters. Not on that list, but a lurker now and then on the grassroots yahoogroup.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Semantics. It should stay United Schutzhund Club of America. I fail to see how this gives the organization more leverage. More info about what Schutzhund is and more publicity and education to the public is needed.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
From and AWDF perspective, USCA is a breed club...in my view, change the name.

If you want to be in a sport club....the AWDF has the DVG, US Mondioring, and North American Ring Assoc., all outstanding organizations.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
That is what I was thinking, it is a breed club, wants to be a breed club.... then the name should be the breed.

I am not sure why they muddied the idea with the political correctness of schutzhund and the perception by the public.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Here is the question. Should we be trying to hide the fact that Schutzhund involves protection work?? Shouldn't we simply do a better job of explaining how important that phase is to testing the dog's temperament? Or, should we continue to try to trick the General Public into believing this is all just a "game"? What will a name change really accomplish? Do you agree the name should be changed and if so, why? If you do not, why not?
IMO - NO. No we should not try to hide the fact that Schutzhund involves protection work.

Every time I talk to people (outside of this board) and bring up Schutzhund. I have to explain to them what it is. I have yet to run into someone who knows what I'm talking about or has even heard of Schutzhund. This includes GSD owners. They don't even know that Schutzhund means "protection dog" unless I tell them during the course or our conversation. If they seem interested, I explain to them all 3 phases and how this originated and was used to test the GSD breed. This is why the club I go to has an article titled 'What is Schutzhund?' on their website as do many other clubs. I'm not sure how much more we can do but we have tossed a few ideas around at club. (Aren't most always looking for new ideas?) Maybe add more information to our websites?

To be honest, no, I don't see a need to change the name. The abbreviation maybe but the name no. I don't see a name change accomplishing much more than confusion.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
At least in my "JQP" circles the word Schutzhund means nothing. As much time as I spend with dogs/GSDs/Schutzhund, barely anyone I know is interested in dogs. I'm constantly having to explain the word. The next question is, "oh so you train police dogs? Cool." Um, no. I've never had anyone ask or say I train "attack dogs" in the context of Schutzhund (a few people on the street have yelled things like, "Dat be an attack dawg?").

1 - 20 of 31 Posts