German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to hide 4 of my 6 cats from my landlord :( any suggestions? I've been sticking the poor little buggers in their taxis and in the car but it's hot so I'd constantly have to go out for an "errand" so I could turn on the AC and cool the car down. Any ideas on what I can do? I can't stick them anywhere in the house as the guy (even though he's really nice) goes through our closets to fix lightbulbs and stuff.

Don't judge me :'c I love my cats but I really don't wanna be the lady with 6 cats 2 dogs and no home right now...ugh.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Could a friend or family member take them for the day?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could a friend or family member take them for the day?
It wouldn't be a day. There are a lot of things that need fixing in the house. They constantly come back with a plumber, an electrician, changing the locks etc. I've had to do this 3 times already but the work seems never ending. So frustrated right now :c I miss my old home...

·
Registered
972 Posts
i would board them as well! it shoudlnt bug them to much, i used to have to do it when my Apartment did checks or had to come in my place, i had 2 cats i had to hide haha

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I used to go through this all the time, now not as much. I would have dogs and cats in crates in cars everywhere:) I was lucky because my mom only lived a couple blocks from me. I decided that as long as I rent, in order to keep my sanity, that I will pay and fix for anything that needs work that will take days. My landlord comes in all the time, but he isn't everywhere, so hiding a couple cats in a bedroom is no big deal. Have you made friends with any neighbors that could hold on to them for a day? I would help you out if I was a little closer, but I'm still about an hour from you.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you made friends with any neighbors that could hold on to them for a day? I would help you out if I was a little closer, but I'm still about an hour from you.
One of the strange things I learned here is that the neighbors are all up in your grill. I hardly knew any of my neighbors ever on the west coast. Sadly, the neighbors are nice but I don't trust them enough to keep my cats a secret.

Thanks for offering to help out--I really do appreciate it. But I'm gonna stick with the boarding/car/crates thing for now.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I lived, with my dog, in a studio apartment that didn't allow dogs. For two years.

About a year in, the landlord called me and said "There's a rumor going around that you have a dog in your apartment, is that true?"

Thinking quickly, I said "My dog is staying with friends, but I come and get her every day to take her for walks. Sometimes she hangs out on the front porch of the apartment, is that okay?"

The landlord said "Welll... I guess that's okay, as long as it isn't very often, and not for very long."

:)

I was young and poor, and this studio was the only place I could find that I could afford. I'd been homeless for about a year prior and when this place opened up, I jumped at it. Normally, I would not have tried to rent a place that didn't allow dogs, but I was pretty desperate at that point. I took my dog everywhere with me, never left her alone in the apartment unless I had absolutely no choice.

I got away with it.

Anyway, the point of all that being, maybe you could tell your landlord that a friend of yours is on vacation and you are cat-sitting?

·
Registered
147 Posts
oh you just made me think of when i was younger living with my dad in the apartment...around 18yrs old...they didnt allow cats, and my dad wouldnt let me have one cuz he said he was allergic.
well my friend had brought me this kitten she found in her stable...I had her for about 3 weeks in my room...and one day Im sitting in the livingroom watching tv with my dad, and here she comes walking out into the livingroom, without a care in the world! my dad looks down and was "whats this!, Im allergic!"...i was like....nope, your not, its all in your head cuz i had her for 3 weeks already! LOL
my dad swore up and down about how much he hated cats, but I caught him playing fetch with her a few times. :)
oh I miss her.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am surprised at how many people have pets when their tenant won't allow it. I just assumed people didn't do it if they couldn't...lol I am so naive. I thought I was being sneaky by keeping my dog a secret from our insurance company. :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I've had to hide cats in the past,but I would always arrange for boarding on those days. I had a few times when the landlord or maintanence came over unannounced for an 'emergency check' and I have had to hurry up and stash my cats in a crate in my closet. I am glad I don't have to do that anymore. It is so stressful,but worth keeping your pets.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
zeeva remember cats can tolerate heat much better than dogs they come from africa just a thought. I never heard of one dying of heat in my life. But just something you u can look into. Not that i ever stuffed one into soething. Its just on those super hot days my cat will be out in the sun and my dog is in the shade.

Also just tell them you are baby sitting your sisters cats and that they wont be there long? or your friend died and you are looking after her cats ? if you get caught?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I lived in an apartment that didn't allow pets for 2 years, it was the only apartment I could afford, and at that time in my life I had a Siamese cat and a Corgi, but the Corgi I would take and drop off to my best friend on the way to work, she trained horses and just took her to work with her, I would drop her off in the back of her truck, in the camper and than pick her up after work at the stables, we would go trail riding every evening. The hilarious thing is this Corgi was so darn smart that I had her trained to wait by my car until I checked that the coast was clear, no neighbors around, and since we always came home so late, nobody usually was, I would peek around the corner to the walk way and say, OK Brianne GO!!! She would sprint to my apartment door and lay down, LOL!!! I would than let her in, than we repeated in the morning, sometimes that was tough, she would wait on the porch, I would check for the all clear, and than say, OK GO Bri !!! She would sprint to my car and get under it, LOL, she was the best, and such a charachter. I never got caught in 2 years of renting. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i agree with boarding them if you dont have any friends who can pet sit at their place for a bit. I have to do the same thing lol. housing knows about the dogs because well.... kinda tough to hide two large 70+ lb dogs and the cats are easier to keep out of eyesight. Winter time, they get put in the big crate and in the car. Summer time they go to a friends. I get to stash them away on thursday. Been doing it for years now lol.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
That's one perk of having a well trained dog:D!

The hilarious thing is this Corgi was so darn smart that I had her trained to wait by my car until I checked that the coast was clear, no neighbors around, and since we always came home so late, nobody usually was, I would peek around the corner to the walk way and say, OK Brianne GO!!! She would sprint to my apartment door and lay down, LOL!!! I would than let her in, than we repeated in the morning, sometimes that was tough, she would wait on the porch, I would check for the all clear, and than say, OK GO Bri !!! She would sprint to my car and get under it, LOL, she was the best, and such a charachter. I never got caught in 2 years of renting. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
i was caught by my landlord once and i made up a sad story how i was just watching a friends dog because she was in the hospital so sick and had no one else to take care of the dog..it worked Lord forgive me

·
Registered
132 Posts
i was caught by my landlord once and i made up a sad story how i was just watching a friends dog because she was in the hospital so sick and had no one else to take care of the dog..it worked Lord forgive me
They don't come back to check to see if you still have him? I'm worried about getting caught with a dog and having them come back to see if I still have him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts