German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I give Malachi a meaty bone with one of his meals-or even a treat/treat bone, instead of him eating and chewing on it, he goes and hides it somewhere in the house (yup gross.) Pretty sure it's going to smell like a rotting carcass in my home soon. There is one raw turkey leg I have yet to find..:eek:
If I give it to him outside, he immediately runs somewhere and buries it. I never see him go back to it to actually eat it. He moves his treats and toys around the house to different spots, but he doesn't eat or chew them!

I'm wondering would he EVENTUALLY go back to eat them? I can't exactly wait indefinitely-it's going to rot! Any way to encourage him to chew and eat them? I want him to reap the benefits of gnawing/eating/chewing meaty bones that he's not getting from his regular softer meals. I'm assuming if he were hungry enough he would. Since these are more supplemental than staple, I guess he just doesn't feel he 'needs' them?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Same here, lol. The first day he gets his bone he spends about an hour locating the perfect spot to bury it. He'll change his mind too, and dig it back up to put it in the 'new' perfect spot. So funny! But he does go back for them - he likes them aged, lol. I stopped giving bones in the house, because he was using his blanket to hide them. Ick!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha at least I'm not the only one. Yeah..I'm thinking no more bones in the house either. BUT the problem with him burying them outside is they end up being a huge pile of maggots..as I was disgusted to find yesterday. So I'm at a loss..?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had a German Shepherd Genesis who used to do that. It would be so funny seeing him try and cover the bone with carpet. He would use his nose and try and bury it. He could spend a half hour trying to hide it. He also used to love burying it in the sofa.....

Then later we would see him trying to recover it from say under the sofa or in it. Or under a bed.....

Genesis had a habit of also carrying his food into another room and eating it.....

My recently passed Kaos wouldn't bury bones but loved to eat them on the sofa or bed. It was a pain getting up all the crumbs from say a milk-bone type treat....

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I have to feed RMB in his crate. I use to give them on a towel in the kitchen, he knew he had to stay put but I got tired of washing those towels. He will also bury them outside sometimes and has come back to them the next day, but seems to like them aged:sick:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Can you feed him in his crate? That way if he doesn't eat it promptly, you can pick it back up and refrigerate for next time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking crate feeding is going to end up being the only option. Right now I am still letting him get used to seeing the crate and getting comfortable with it. We are in the VERY early stages of crate training. Once he's gotten to his healthy weight and whatnot, I will probably start feeding him in his crate-and give RMB there too.

It is hilarious to watch him try to find the 'perfect' place. Especially trying to bury in carpet. It just doesn't work :laugh: It's cute to watch him 'cover' it back up by 'pushing' the carpet with his nose...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona does the hiding thing too. I keep finding them and she hides them again. Repeat a few times and she eats it in frustration.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Only give it in his crate. Best option unless you want to stop giving them altogether.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
my dogs often bury bones somewhere,but they do remember location of their savings dig them out and eat later.:)

they seem to like the "aroma".:sick::D[/QUOTE

Lucky does this too. He does go back and get them but unfortunately Thunder has been known to dig them up first.Daisy buried her's and ate Lucky's. Man sisters are a pain! And yes they like the smell of rotting flesh in the morning!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts