German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Logan gets hiccups daily .. (well, what we call Hic-pups). They don't seem to bother him, and don't last long ... but since I've noticed it's a daily occurrence, I'm starting to wonder if I should be worried. Logan is close to 4 months old, chewing on everything, playing with everything ... so I'm THINKING he's probably just gulping air as he's running and romping. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Same thing happened with Stosh- in fact I was so worried that I posted a thread about it too! So it's not unusual in pups. I do make sure not to feed him too close to exercising and don't let him gulp a lot of water when he's panting

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Logan gets hiccups daily .. (well, what we call Hic-pups). They don't seem to bother him, and don't last long ... but since I've noticed it's a daily occurrence, I'm starting to wonder if I should be worried. Logan is close to 4 months old, chewing on everything, playing with everything ... so I'm THINKING he's probably just gulping air as he's running and romping. What do y'all think?
Dogs that hiccup and are gassy are at higher risk of bloat. I have a good friend with Weims that knows more about bloat than any person I know. She gives every dog a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

The theory is that this may retard fermentation in the stomach.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 5 yr old dog hiccups occasionally also - I've asked the vet about it and they said not to worry. That is interesting about the thoughts on it being an indicator of risk for bloat. My dog is also more gassy and tends to show bloat symptoms a couple times a year when he has a flare up of his GI system. He's scheduled for surgery to have his stomach tacked because of him being higher risk...if I can just keep his GI system calm enough to get us to the surgery.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Abby had the hic-pups frequently but grew out of them around 6 months. Nothing since, I year later.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Max also went through a phase as a puppy when he had frequent hiccups too. He has had no GI problems luckily...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody had them too...I also thought something was wrong with him. Now that I think about it...he hasn't had them in a long time!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Dante used to get them, doesn't anymore. The last one I had as a puppy was Akira. Can't remember if she had them as a pup.

Moose doesn't seem to get them. Can't think of a single time actually.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thanks y'all ... he does gulp down his food and loves to lap up water (with enthusiasm!), so I worried about the extra air and a propensity towards bloat ... I'm trying to track the hic-pups now to see how often he gets them, when (last night, he got them after eating some ice cubes ... AKA 'water biscuits') ... hopefully he'll grow out of them. Next vet visit is in a week for his last puppy booster, I'll bring it up. Wasn't sure if I was being a paranoid puppy-mom or if it could be a symptom, or a flag to watch for something else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts