German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi yall,
We took Gandalf to the vet today and she suspects a hiatal hernia. We are doing the barium x ray study next week to confirm her suspicion. I'm just curious if anyone has had experience with these, costs, treatments, etc. We were told similar treatment to mega e. He is on 20mg of omeprezenole now daily. What is the prognosis? Hoping after we get this figured out he can continue running with me and playing... ? If you had a dog who had this condition was it manageable with just meds or did you have to use a bailey chair? In comparison to mega e. I would assume the risk of pneumonia would be lower since it is less fluids/food regurgitating? Or is that assumption wrong? I've read surgery is recommended to fix the problem, but our vet didn't mention it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
The vets likely waiting until after the x-ray confirms the hernia or not...surgery may be discussed then....since you've posted here before about Gandalf seeming to get tired easily when hiking etc.....I would think if it is a hiatal hernia....the stomach even partially moving into the chest cavity could cause breathing issues I would think.....I've never seen it in any of my dogs or friends dogs.....but many years ago when I was a child my Dad went through the surgery I seem to remember shortness of breath being a symptom--I know he had the surgery pretty quick after being diagnosed....I would imagine for a dog--on all fours depending on how severe... surgery would be more important

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vets likely waiting until after the x-ray confirms the hernia or not...surgery may be discussed then....since you've posted here before about Gandalf seeming to get tired easily when hiking etc.....I would think if it is a hiatal hernia....the stomach even partially moving into the chest cavity could cause breathing issues I would think.....I've never seen it in any of my dogs or friends dogs.....but many years ago when I was a child my Dad went through the surgery I seem to remember shortness of breath being a symptom--I know he had the surgery pretty quick after being diagnosed....I would imagine for a dog--on all fours depending on how severe... surgery would be more important
That would make a lot of sense Shane's Dad, I was wondering about that too... I tried doing an advanced search on the forum to see if anyone has dealt with this before, I'm not sure if I did the search wrong or what but nothing at all came up. I'm guessing it isn't a very common thing, at least not in shepherds. How did your dad do after the surgery?
I called the vet this morning since I forgot to ask yesterday and she said absolutely no off leash running, no fetch, no more jogging with me :crying: . Hope that isn't for life, he is my little buddy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That would make a lot of sense Shane's Dad, I was wondering about that too... I tried doing an advanced search on the forum to see if anyone has dealt with this before, I'm not sure if I did the search wrong or what but nothing at all came up. I'm guessing it isn't a very common thing, at least not in shepherds. How did your dad do after the surgery?
I called the vet this morning since I forgot to ask yesterday and she said absolutely no off leash running, no fetch, no more jogging with me :crying: . Hope that isn't for life, he is my little buddy.

My Dad did really well--i remember he was out of work for 2 months or so,,,the doc wouldn't release him sooner....also remember Mom fussing at him because he'd mow the grass when he knew he shouldn't...but he didn't want to hear of Mom or one of us kids doing it though...
As i say he did well after surgery (couldn't understand why the doc wouldn't let him go back to work) he was in pretty good physical pre surgery and was around forty years old--he had no post surgery problems that i knew of....I had surgery myself for a umbilical hernia 10+ years ago that was done using laprascopy (spelling ??)--I'll be curious if Gandalf does need surgery if that's an option for him

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This may be helpful to talk about with your vet -- surgery is an option if conservative treatment doesn't work:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9702228

And:
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Note that several surgical techniques are discussed, and one has a much better outcome than the others.
Well that sounds pretty hopeful, thank you Magwart! Seems like hiatal plication, esophagopexy, and gastropexy is the route to go if the medication and dietary changes don't help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have any experience with dogs having hiatal hernias, but I have hiatal hernia and do not need any treatment other than the occasional over the counter meds for heartburn.
And only eating small meals, and keep foods that expand in the stomach limited. Like soda or milk.

I would ask your vet, but kibble expands in the stomach. So I would think it would be better to soak kibble until it is fully expanded before feeding and to feed multiple small meals, instead of feeding only once or twice a day. And to limit water intake, so your pup is not gulping down lots of water. But I'm not sure how bad your dogs hernia is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts