German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm brand new here and quite honestly brand new to using a forum. So please bear with me if screw up. One thing I'm not brand new at is dogs and training. I'm 51yo have had multiple dogs my entire life from mutts to Black Labs, Beatles, Akitas and GSD's I'm here because a few months ago I rescued a GSD that was dumped out in the country. He was starving and scared and pretty eaten up by bugs and ants ect. I'm guessing he is between 1-2 years old by his size and behavior. Still in that puppy stage. I'm not sure if he is 100% gsd but off he's not he's real close. Which doesn't matter to me other than to give you background. Now to why I'm here. He is partially deaf. He doesn't respond to voices or loud noises such as guns, fireworks thunder. You can get a head tilt from very high frequencies. I have taught him basic commands like sit and lay with hand signals. I have got a vibration collar and it is semi effective. It definably gets his attention but even on low setting all he does is come straight to me and sits or lays but as a reaction to collar not to hand signals. Imo the collar scares or confuses him. Are there any other options to get his attention at a distance. Btw this was a cheap Amazon collar. If that could be issue, died anyone recommend a higher quality or professional grade brand. Thank you for your time. I'll add a couple pics first one is the ride home when I rescued him. The second is at work with me and no he will not be an actual working dog but I am afforded the luxury of bringing him to work at times. Edit: let me add that the long distance recall is because I live in on 13 acres. He has a fully fenced in yard not the full 13 acres but large. He also has his own dig door to come in and out freely. He is not off leash outside of fenced in yard.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi!Sounds like he's lucky you found him. The first thing I though of was a dog whistle if you think he could hear that? There pretty high pitched and can be heard from some distance, I have/use one to recall the dogs occasionally. Maybe others have some better ideas.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Welcome, what a nice looking boy he is.

Reactions: TxGunslinger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!Sounds like he's lucky you found him. The first thing I though of was a dog whistle if you think he could hear that? There pretty high pitched and can be heard from some distance, I have/use one to recall the dogs occasionally. Maybe others have some better ideas.
Thank you. I tried one that didn't seem to have any effect. But it was a single pitch. I might try one that can produce multiple pitches and see if I can find what pitch he can hear it if it's consistent.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for rescuing that handsome boy! I'm curious if your vet confirmed he's partially deaf? My dog's hearing is perfect and she shows no reaction to gunfire, fireworks, or thunder either! That's what got me thinking that maybe he's just not trained. I don't do e-collars, but I've seen the dogtra Mini Educator recommended often. It has tone, vibrate, and stim and cost 179.00 on amazon.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I trained a deaf dog. I used a flashing light as a recall tool, among other things. You need to teach him that the vibration means look at you. I would start with him sitting right in front of you. Look at you, vibrate, treat.
But I would use the stim, since you only want to use vib, to teach him to stop immediately and remain there.

·
Premium Member
11,403 Posts
that poor guy!!!! So glad you have rescued him! Looks like a nice boy and lucky that you have adopted him!

Dogtra collars seem to be reliable...I have had a few over the years, and like the Dogtras best...Cabelas sells them as does GunDog Supply - and they are great to deal with.

Good luck!

Lee

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well done saving that handsome fella. In that pic of you both you can see his focus on you. Just like tim_s_adams says we have just been through some major celebrations with loads of late night fireworks and band parades and Zac didn't flinch, my last dog was a total nervous wreck with fireworks, bands or thunder so he may just not react to them. Sorry I can't help anymore than what has been suggested as I've no experience with e collars.

You've got a great looking dog there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I trained a deaf dog. I used a flashing light as a recall tool, among other things. You need to teach him that the vibration means look at you. I would start with him sitting right in front of you. Look at you, vibrate, treat.
But I would use the stim, since you only want to use vib, to teach him to stop immediately and remain there.
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that poor guy!!!! So glad you have rescued him! Looks like a nice boy and lucky that you have adopted him!

Dogtra collars seem to be reliable...I have had a few over the years, and like the Dogtras best...Cabelas sells them as does GunDog Supply - and they are great to deal with.

Good luck!

Lee
Thank you I'll check them out, I have used gun dog supply a lot in the past

·
Super Moderator
5,654 Posts
Welcome! Glad he came to a good home :)

I would recommend a good e-collar. I use Dogtra, and recommend them. The educator models are very good as well.

The vibrate can be overwhelming for some dogs, and you don't have control over the intensity. A good e-collar has 100+ levels of stim and vibrate as well. I suggest getting wings for any collar you are using on a long haired dog. I also suggest you work with a trainer that uses low level stim for a few sessions to help you understand how to use the collar correctly.

I trained a deaf dog to respond to tap patterns on the e-collar.
1 tap, watch
2 taps, recall
3 taps, down

That's all you really need, but you can expand from there.

If you wish to continue to use the vibration collar, I would pair it with a reward until the dog is comfortable with it, then use the same idea as above, utilizing patterns as commands.

·
Registered
AbbyRose
31 Posts
Just thank you for saving and caring for this good boy. That's the post.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hi,
I can't help you as regards your question but I just wanted to say well done for what you've done for him already.
I'm sure you'll get the answers you need here.
Like you I'm not new to GSDs but I'm not one for forums - or talking to people generally! Give me animals any day, but this is a useful resource and has already helped me in my short time here. Good luck good man. 🤝

1 - 14 of 14 Posts