German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My name is Meg. I think I've lurked on this board before, but I don't think I've made an account before (I could be wrong?). We have a plethora of animals at the moment. My husband and I each have a GSD. DH belongs to Millie. I belong to Pistol. I also belong to a aussie cattle dog named Mutt. :) Attached are photos of the three dogs. :) Mutt is about 5ish...she's a rescue soo.... Millie will be three in August. Pistol is 10 weeks. We also have two cats and two horses. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
:)What a beautiful animal family you have. I also am blessed with 4 dogs. The three older ones are rescues from my grandchiildren who either moved where they couldnt have dogs or went to school or army. So the puppy , Ruger , iis my dog. He iis a handfull at this age. But I love him. Welcome from Waco, Texas....

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:welcome: and :toasting: You have beautiful pups!!!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Gorgeous dogs! And I love the name Pistol. Welcome from Tyler TX. Does Mutt do any herding? I've started Stosh in herding training and he LOVES it. Your gsds might love it too, I imagine Mutt has a good idea how to do it already

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! :) Our dogs are our lives! DH started Millie in SAR when we first moved to San Antonio. Our team fell apart because of a big political mess, but he'd like to get back into it. He just hasn't found a team in the local area that he's comfortable with or has the time to train with. Mutt is my pet/princess. *barf* :) She's an acceptable hiking companion and barn buddy. She doesn't mind either, but she doesn't really care for either. She's happy with a 4 or 5 mile hike then she's done (I've actually had to carry her out of a state park before because she refused to go anymore). We did train with short easy hikes building up to longer ones and she's pretty much just refused anything longer than that. Soooo... In comes Pistol! :) We're hoping (and pretty sure) she's going to have about the same drive, energy, and stamina Millie has. My focus right now though, of course, isn't on hiking...but on socialization and training. I'm setting my eyes on STAR Puppy and moving on to CGC then to titling her in obedience. We'll see how this goes. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stosh...Mutt doesn't do any herding... We used to board the horses at a place that had cattle. She would bark at them from the edge of the pasture, but she is too scared to get any closer to them than that. The man I rescued her from had cattle and would beat her when she tried to herd them (I think it would have been easier and smarter just to teach her HOW to herd so she could be useful...but....) She's kind of soured on the thought. I have a basic idea of how to start a Border Collie for herding from an experience with some BCs in high school, but Mutt has flat out refused all of those efforts. She totally lacks self confidence. It's something we've been working on since I got her in 07. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah...she's had it hard. Now she's my town dog. She loves going to the dog parks and to big box pet stores (petsmart, petco, etc) here in town to have people love on her. We also try to go down town every now and then to see some traffic and crowds. She does very well there with all the lovin people want to give her. :) We are working on her social skills with other dogs. She just doesn't like them in her space. If we can get over that barrier we would try for CGC with her. I like to entertain the idea that she could be a good therapy dog, but I doubt it would actually work out. We could make it through the CGC, but I don't think I could trust her in every situation in the real therapy dog world.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alphamom! Man! I'm glad to see all the Texan's here! We're not from Texas...we're just here with the military (DH's job), but it's nice to find people near by!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Another welcome from Texas. You have beautiful dogs. I like all your photos, but I love the last one the most with Mutt and the bluebonnets.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome, you have a very nice looking family. :greet:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts