German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi my name is Calla and my GSD is Heidi. Heidi is my first GSD and is smarter than me, ha just playing but no really she is SMART and very sweet (well to me and my family anyways) We joined this forum so we could meet other GSD owners and try and correct some behavior problems.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome! They are too smart sometimes- and they don't play fair at all. What kind of problems are you having?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hi there - :welcome: aboard!

Yup sometimes they can be real smarties!! But that's OK because you are in a good place. Lots of experienced folks on board.
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!

Well from everything I have read Heidi is just a typical GSD. And she is a velcro shepherd and I love it! I got her to feel safer at home and for my little beagle a playmate. Although, my beagle stays outside and Heidi stays inside or wherever I am. Watching them play is priceless because Heidi towers over the little guy. Heidi is 8 months and I have had her for one month. She is wonderful and very protective but her downfall is she is fearful, oh and not to mention our last vet appointment ended in her having to be sedated. My heart aches for Heidi because she is so intelligent and loving toward my family and I. I have got to find a way to get her socialized and trained. I am a college student so I have a lot of free time to work with her but I just do not know what to do, and that is why I came to this forum.

Heidi has been to the vet twice now. The first time went relatively well we had our male doctor and a young female vet technician, like me. Heidi was fearful but liked the young female vet tech. She got all her shots, blood work, and heartworm preventive and away we went. During this visit she never ever acted aggressive just fearful.

The next time we went to the vet it was a different story. I was taking her there to get spayed. This time there was a male vet tech and the same doctor, and she lost it. She became aggressive growled, had to be muzzled, and sedated. And she defecated and urinated all over everyone. I was devastated for Heidi. I have never seen her act this way.

Since then I have been trying to socialize her. I have been taking her to the park to watch the people. But anytime someone wants to pet her, she growls, and they scamper off, ha. When she growls it is not an “I am going to eat you up growl” more like “I am weary of you” kind of growl. If I tell her to stop she will but she still does not want them to come any closer. If I hug someone, she becomes okay with him or her. BUT I cannot go around hugging every stranger we meet. I do not think the breeder I bought her from had socialized her at all in 7 months. I plan to put her in obedience class just for the socialization but I am terrified she will lash out at someone if they get to close, what should I do?

She sits, lies down, and comes whenever I ask. She loves other dogs, and we are working on not pulling when we go for a walk. The only problem I have with her if her being fearful of other people especially men, and men that she can tell are afraid of her. The male vet tech was very afraid of her because he had been bitten by a GSD before. My goal would be to have her become an approachable dog at the vet, park, and so forth. I need advice because I have to come up with a game plan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts