German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 month old, Male Shepard. He was diagnosed with panosteitis this week after he had been limping for no apparent reason for a weekend.

He was given Rimadyl. On Day 2, he was feeling much better, but was also really wild. Went in the yard to see if he could get rid of some energy. As Shepards are, he is mouthy. He caught my hand as he ran past. 9 stitches, animal control visit. 10 day house arrest...cant even go in the car and has to be supervised in our yard which is fenced.

It was not malicious. It was a tear, no punctures, he did not grab, shake, not let go. No tendon or muscle damage.

But I dont want it to happen again. He will be suspect from now on. He is sweet and boisterous and big- 70 lbs.
We have done some training (he needs more) but have been focused on socialization with dogs and people with the trainer. Dog parks are too dangerous. The trainer understands normal behavior and when/if intervention is needed. Bear literally had no idea how to interact with dogs. Every week, we see improvement. He loves people, and is not aggressive towards the dogs. He was starting to play the week before this happened.

Neither the trainer nor the vet have any concerns about his having aggressive tendencies. But ideas on reducing mouthiness would be great. Every on line trainer has a different suggestion. Personality differences require different approaches. Turning your back to him and ignoring him works 80% of the time. Distraction with a toy can work too. But not always...pulling away makes it a game. Yelling/yipping also gets him more excited.

The panosteitis adds a new level of difficulty as far as energy. How do we keep him from going crazy when he is in pain, without having him do damage to himself?

He is supposed to be full GSD but not papered. Could he have Malinois in him? He is a handsome dog. Very smart. Trainable but with a mind of his own. Standard for the breed?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
What were the circumstances of animal control being called? What state/country?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If it were me and Inga caused an accidental injury, I could see not going to the ER for stitches because of this bite BS. As a health care professional, and I would use 1/2 sterile water and half hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound, dry with sterile gauze, apply a bit of triple antibiotic ointment, and place steristrips to close the wound. All of this can be obtained at a drug store. If it gets red and swollen, seek medical help of course. Do you have to say how the wound was acquired? I think not.

I can see these legal precautions if a person is bitten my some random dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to have 9 stitches on the top of my hand in the ER. It looks like a knife cut not a bite. I think one tooth caught.

He is up to date on shots and I have his records on my phone. Animal control was really considerate, no threats or anything. They can impound the dog for the 10 days. I dont think he'd have done well with that. Our dog, but me, a little less trouble. And not a literal attack. Reading on this forum, I agree though... male GSDS are drama queens.

I also read that some dogs react badly to Rimadyl. Next flare up we'll give buffered aspirin a try. Rimidyl prevents/slows endocannabinoid breakdown, maybe he felt off. He was more hyper definitely.

We feel strongly he was taken from his mom and siblings too soon 8, not 10 or 12 weeks. Have really worked on socialization because of that. He will attend again Saturday. I dont want to lose the progress we have made. And I won't do dog parks!

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I've never had the health department call the dog warden when I've been treated for a bite wound from my own dogs. My brother's dog got me in the leg during a fight, and there was bruising and a huge pucture, took a year to heal. And I shoved my hand between Rushie and Arwen when they had an argument trying to reach a collar -- that was my last wound. I started my new job with my hand a bloody stump. But because of various health conditions, I get infected easily and need treatment.

So far that has never been an issue for me. I had to quarantine (at my home) once for my dog killing a raccoon. But other than that, we've been good with the health department.

Lots of folks though, do not get themselves treated because treatment could mean a bite history. I bite history could mean requiring the owner to have a kennel of a certain height, fencing, hold liability insurance on the dog -- different than home-owner's insurance, though that can be impacted. It might mean the dog must be muzzled in public. And, it could mean that if this dog steps a toe out of line again, even nicking a child with a toe-nail, the court can take the decision out of your hands. To have a very nice dog put down because of an accidental hooking of the tooth as he ran by, and some lady in her fear of dogs in general, falling because she perceived the dog coming after her, that's a hard pill to swallow.

So lots of us will use iodine and put a butterfly on it and call it a day. Some of us might take rabies shots and say the thing was a stray rather than put a bite history on our dogs.

Reactions: CometDog

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap, but welcome to the forum! It's funny, from the first picture I would have believed maybe he's a GSD/Mal mix, but the second looks all GSD to me, sooo who knows. He's a handsome boy though, that's for sure!

I like to play with my dog's roughly, always have. But at 7 months I have never had a dog injure me beyond a small scrape here and there, and always accidentally. Could be the Rimadyl is responsible, I'm not familiar with it's side effects. But it's a little concerning that your pup would give you a wound that required 9 stitches at that age...do you normally play roughly with him? Is he normally careful with you?

As a puppy, I taught mine to stop when I got injured. I also, out of necessity, taught her he help lick up the blood until I could get a paper towel LOL! She's now almost 19 months, and hasn't bled me for days, and even then, as I mentioned, it was a small scrape that bled very little. And we were wrestling pretty hard at the time LOL!

As others have mentioned, and of course hindsight is always 20-20, but now you know that going to the ER and being honest about how the wound happened may not have been the best path. Whatever, it happened and it's now water under the bridge, to cite an old old adage. The point now is to move forward!

From what you said, your trainer doesn't see aggression issues with you dog, and it doesn't sound to me like you have any reservations, so let it go and move on!

At his age though, if he's still nippy at all I personally would be issuing some serious corrections for that. He needs to learn, in no uncertain terms, where the boundaries are. If you are still trying redirection at 7 months, IMHO you haven't taught him anything yet! Step up your game! You need to be firm, but not angry, just don't ever allow nipping period, correct him whenever he does that!

As I mentioned before, I LIKE to play roughly with every dog I've ever owned. And I like it when my current dog growls and bites me when we're doing that. But she doesn't ever bite me hard enough to hurt, even when she's all excited and showing teeth! It's a game, and there are rules. Main rule, don't freaking hurt me LOL!

Hopefully some of this rambling will be helpful to you. These dogs are smart enough to know when rough play is appropriate and when it's not, so just communicate that clearly and consistently and I'm sure he'll get it. And again, welcome to the forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts