German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I'm Jessica from NY. My boyfriend of 4 years had an 8y.o. German Shepherd dog named Chevy. Chevy was a very over protective dog. He never once was aggressive with me but I had seen him bite several people if they raised their hand to my boyfriend. Never once did he ever bite my boyfriend who he would sit and wait for in the den for him to come home from school or a week long tournament...he'd even throw up if my boyfriend was gone for more then 2 days. Then I got pregnant and Chevy then became very protective of me too..my boyfriend and I were wrestling one day and he threw me on the bed to tickle me (but he doesn't know how to tickle and it hurts) and I said "oww". Chevy Jumped up bite my boyfriend on the butt, pulled him off of me and got between us both while showing his teeth to my boyfriend. After that things changed between Chevy and I completely. He loved my boyfriend with everything he had and he had accepted me. After our son was born Chevy would sit on the babys bedroom floor the whole night while originally he HAD to sleep with us on the bed. As soon as the baby would make any noise he'd come in and wake us both up. As our son grew up Chevy was the best playmate my son had and no matter where my son went while at the house Chevy knew exactly where he was and he'd keep his eye on him. If the baby cried Chevy was the first one there seeing what was wrong. My boyfriend has a little sister who is a year older then he is and Chevy wouldnt allow her to crawl on him or mess with him at all...but he allowed our son and actually enjoyed it. He wouldnt hurt my boyfriends sister but if she tried crawling on him or messing with him..he'd nicely get up and walk out of the room...Recently Chevy's health went down hill very fast. A few months ago his nose started bleeding and never stopped. We took him to the vet several times and even had blood work and a biopsy done because there was some kind of mass in the inside of his left nostril. The results came back as negative for cancer...yet Chevy was still bleeding and still losing weight at a very fast rate. A week before Christmas I got a phone call from my boyfriend..he was crying saying "we have to rush Chevy into the vet" Chevy was now bleeding out of his mouth. We rushed Chevy in and my boyfriend carried him all the way in and thought he'd be able to walk just alittle...he was wrong, Chevy collapsed. They told us his blood work came back that he had cancer and that he needed a blood transfusion right away but we were just delaying the inevitable if we did so, his lungs were filling with blood. We took Chevy home with some meds to hopefully give us another day or so because my boyfriend didnt believe that Chevy was dying...a few hours later he made the decision to put Chevy down peacefully and comfortably....and thats just how he was. We gave the two best friends time to say goodbye to each other and when we came back in my boyfriend was kneeling with his head on the table and Chevy had his head on his shoulder. Chevy was ready and letting my boyfriend know because he knew how upset my boyfriend was. Chevy was so weak and losing so much blood the vet that put him down told us he would have bled to death within a few more hours. Chevy went knowing how much he was loved by everyone and the last person he saw was his best friend, my boyfriend. My son talks about Chevy every single day and says how much he misses him. Chevy's little sister Jetta (a German shepherd/hound mix) misses him also. She followed him everywhere! After we first brought her home Chevy decided to take her on an adventure while she was a puppy! Her first night with us! (chevy use to get out of the yard on occasion but we'd never worry because he'd always come back...not to mention nobodys gonna mess with a 125lbs king size german shepherd) THANK GOD Jetta stayed right with Chevy or she'd be lost still or even dead.
Lee said he was never going to get another dog but last week I found a 9 week old German Sheoherd/Rottie mix who I just could not stop thinking about. I took Lee's mom and little sister with me to go see the puppies and it was like fate. There was only one boy left and the owner was actually going to keep him and then decided not to. He was Gorgeous and he already knew how to sit, stay, and come. But what sold me was that the puppies were born on Nov. 3rd which is our sons birthday. It was like a sign. I bought him on the spot took him home and so far this puppy has taken right to my boyfriend just like Chevy did. Now Chevy can never ever be replaced...but I'm pretty positive Chevy sent this puppy to us to mend our broken hearts. Rocky has some biiig shoes to fill but for right now its just nice to see my boyfriend smile the way he does when he's playing with this puppy...the same smile he would give to Chevy. Rocky has completed my boyfriend and my little family

RIP Chevy. Our protector is now protecting us from Heaven and theres not a day that goes by that we do not think of our first born son

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jessica !
You'll find many stories here that parallel yours, mine included. When I lost my 14 yr ole GSD Max to cancer there was a BIG HOLE in my Spirit. It was just a few months later that DJ came into my life quite unexpectedly. I totally believe He is my Angel sent from above !!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to meet you!
I really like the board so far!!! And Isn't it crazy how its like they send you another to not replace them...but you give you hope. Its like they know exactly how much you loved them and they want to share your love with another. Never have I had that experience after losing a pet until I saw Rocky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the board, so sorry to hear about Chevy, sounds like he was a great dog. May he rest in peace.

He really was and thank you very much that means a lot :hugs:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Your boyfriend must be a wonderful guy for dogs to love him so much! What's your new boy's name?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome Jessica. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I think everyone on this board has had to deal with the loss of a beloved pet so we know what it is like to go throught that.

We may have many dogs in our lifetime, but you sometimes get those who stay in our hearts forever. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We may have many dogs in our lifetime, but you sometimes get those who stay in our hearts forever. :)
Exactly! I am so glad I found a place that understands....none of my friends get it or family members....most people were scared of chevy lol!

STOSH: Our newest member's name is Rocky. The guy I bought him from named him that, I wanted to rename him Harley to keep up with our theme but Lee wants to keep it. Theres Pictures of all the kids in my album on here. And I know idk what it is cuz I just find Lee a pain in the butt! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts