German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow GSD owners. We were gifted a GS puppy last month. We lost our Lab in the summer and my 33 yrs old son was killed in car accident in August. We needed something good to focus on so our good friends bought her for us from Greenfield in Amish country in PA. She's just beautiful and has wonderful parents. Her father Groot is a show dog. We named her Regan after the folks who gave her to us. We call her Regan Marie because all the girls in the family are named Marie as a middle name and she answers better when we use her full name. She's 4 months old and full of beans!..she gets a bit crazy as the sun goes down and thanks to your posts I found this to be fairly normal and was relieved to know she's not totally insane!...This morning I took her to an empty dog park and threw the ball until my arm fell off and let her run crazy and sniff the entire park. Home now and she is out cold...great advice on the amount of activity she needs to expel all that energy that she normally expends on trying to eat my husband and the shoes of our grandson. If anyone could recommend a good trainer near the Philadelphia area that would be great. The ones I've researched so far don't seem to have classes until January so I thought a six week course at PetSmart might be a good idea to start her off. I had a Shepherd when I was a kid but that was long ago and while I've trained her to do the basics, sit and paw and down (on occasion) I need to refine her heel and come. Any thoughts on a basic class at PetSmart? I didn't want to wait to January as she needs the training now. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So glad I found all of you. You don't see too many GSDs anymore unless they are in a police car so its great to find a group who understands the breed.

Attachments

Registered
First of all, so sorry for your losses. I cannot imagine losing a child and my heart and condolences go out to you. Secondly, Regan Marie is a beautiful dog. Thirdly, I take my GSD 4 month old to PetSmart for training classes and it's been going great! I think it all depends on the trainer and how well they explain everything. I agree with you that training your dog as early as possible is better! Best of luck! :smile2:

Registered
Sorry for your loss and congrats on the new pup. Nice to have something good in your life and a pup is the best.
My thoughts are to be careful on how hard you run your pup. Too much charring the ball puts slot of stress on growing bones. I would suggest you let her run at her own pace and controlled walks on a not so hard surface.
Inside the house hide her treats or food and let her find it.
I would never ever take a PetSmart class but if you have absolutely nothing else out there I guess it鈥檚 better then nothing
Good luck have fun.

Registered
My condolences on your loss.

Regan is a beauty! I wouldn't over do the fetch, keep sessions short as already mentioned, jarring and sudden stops can cause stress on joints, everything in moderation. Mental exercise can help them relax too and there are a lot of videos out there to research ideas while you wait to begin classes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts