German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; my family just adopted a rescue GSD here in the Bay Area. I have grown up with GSDs however, this is the first time I have actually owned one. I am new to owning a dog, and my dog has the nasty habit of treating my mom's room like the toilet. Is there a specific thread I should look at to successfully house train my dog. Additionally, I don't have a good estimation on how old my dog is. When I got her I was told she was around 10 months. Thank you for all your input!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for adopting, the best thing for housebreaking is to crate train. there are lots of tips on here to help you with that. Go over all the spots in your mom's room with an enzyme cleaner or some white vinegar to remove the smell (you may not smell it and think its clean, but I can guarantee if you have not cleaned it with something like vinegar your pup can still smell it and will continue to think it is their potty spot.) Also, keep her attached to you with a leash for a little bit while in the house, that way she cant sneak off and piddle somewhere inappropriate or get into something else that she shouldnt. Crate when you cant supervise, I've found the best tip is to set your pup up to succeed, dont give them the opportunity to make a mistake, and praise, praise praise when she does something right.

Good luck and congratulations!!!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaxGunnarWelcome to our world, look into crate training for your pupper , frequent exercise and get an oder neutralizer to clean up the room.
I own a Bissell Steam clean

as they say .uh ..... poop happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts