German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my 4 year old pup Apollo finally came back from 2 week obedience training after what seemed like forever. I'm relieved that i can finally take him out on walks without having to worry about evading other dogs so definitely worth the money spent. Yet I did recently notice a couple of strange things on him he didn't have before though.

My main concern is this sort of red spot or rash on the roof of his mouth which I'm pretty sure wasn't there before. Can anyone identify what it is? Maybe just a burn or scrape from hot food? Hopefully nothing serious

Also He keeps licking his paws nonstop and it looks slightly irritated under the fur, I'm thinking he developed a yeast infection since he was kept outside with other dogs and probably got his paws wet alot. Gonna try soaking his paws in a solution of apple cider vinegar and see if it will help

Please I would appreciate any help or natural remedy recommendations . I'm completely all out out of funds so i cant afford to take him to the vet yet (college student, just got a new Job, waiting on paycheck, might be a little while)

Pictures will be attached

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
That could be a strep infection in your dog's mouth. Could also be thrush. The only way to know is with a swab. In any event, if you absolutely cannot get him to the vet right now, I would be adding ACV, with the mother, to his food or water. Honey is also a great antibacterial/anti-fungal. I add one tablespoon of each to a quart of water for my dog, daily.

Hopefully this will clear now that he is home. Stress can break down their immune system and allow things like this to take over. Did you provide his food while he was away? Maybe they were feeding corn/wheat/soy that contributed? If you have a good probiotic or fermented vegetables, that would be a good start in getting his gut flora back where it needs to be. No trashy treats for the time being, either.

I hope he gets to feeling better soon. If you notice lethargy, fever or lack of appetite, get him to the vet on credit. Strep is nothing to mess with.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Lakeyport and Welcome! :greet:

Who would have fed him food that was hot enough to burn his mouth?

Why was he kept outside during his training?

Please consider the vet to id this.

While the ORGANIC Apple Cider Vinegar (contains the "mother" a brown substance floating around in the bottle) may be good for his paws, it may sting the wound/red spot in his mouth and aggravate it, so I would not give it internally until the spot is healed.

I would get a high quality Pau d'Arco (capsules). Be sure to look on the product's label for Tabebuia avellanedae, Impetiginosa, ipe roxo, or heptaphylla.

Also see if it specifically clarifies inner bark, to ensure that you receivelapacho.
You can get this from a local health food store (NOT GNC), Whole Foods or the internet.

Pau d'arco contains a natural antibacterial agent, has a healing effect on the entire body, cleanses the blood, kills viruses and infections and is an immune booster.

"The primary active biochemicals in Pau d’arco are the naphthoquinones: lapachol and beta-lapachone. Researchers have shown that lapachol has antitumorous, antiedemic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericidal, and antifungal activity."

Raw ORGANIC USDA (NO Hexane) Coconut Oil could also help if this is yeast. You can get this at a health food store or some grocery stores are now starting to carry it.
Coconut Oil contains antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties.

Moms :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the great advice I'm going to be trying them all. Luckily I have some FortiFlora Probiotics leftover so I don't have to go out of pocket on that one.

Yeah I can tell he was pretty stressed out when I dropped him off for training (he's never been away from home ever.) The trainer would have all the dogs outside in their own cages with plenty of space and protection from the sun. Even though he designed it to be a cool environment we live in South florida so it gets really hot and humid. I would see the trainer hose down the floors occasionally to keep the dogs even cooler.

As for his appetite he's never had a strong one. Ever since 12 weeks old he would look at his food and walk away even though I put some chicken or wet food along with the kibble, the vet just said he was an extremely picky eater. I'd say on average he eats maybe once a day (about 2 cups of high quality kibble with some canned food) even though I feed him twice. He still sustains a healthy weight for his size at 90lbs surprisingly

Does seem to be eating a little less slightly since coming back. I'm going to give him some time to re adjust and heal The trainer had him on different food. Thanks again everyone for the replys you're awesome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts