German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our little girl Kola, she is 8 1/2 weeks old and a GSD/HUSKY Mix. We love her so much. Luckily she has already mastered the sit command, tug-o-war, and fetch. We are still working on crate training, potty training, and "stay".

My finacee and I saw her, and fell head over paws for her. We took her home, and she fit right in. We have a 1 1/2 year old cat named Bailey, he didn't like Kola at first but now we can't seperate them. Bailey plays with Kola and vise-versa, its awesome. They even sleep together on the bed at night. :)

When we took her to the Vet the other day, we signed her up for the Puppy Wellness Program at BanField inside PetSmart. She got all her first shots, flea/mosquito/tick/lice medicine, heartwork prevention, and a deworming substance that they gave her for prevention. She was such a good girl, she just sat there, and let them do what they needed too. Even the Doc. said he was impressed. She got a clean bill of health. YAY!!!! :D

We also started her on Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Food. I love this food, and so does Kola, she gobbles it up. However the bag says 2-3 cups a day for her right now?? This seems like a lot of food, and Kola never finishes it all, any tips? :help:

We are also taking her in about a month to obedience classes at PetSmart. I'm sooooo happy, we both are... including the cat. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome! Your puppy is just too cute! Can't wait to see her grow! Loving that you know to use puppy classes to help her 'be all that she can be'.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wow, how cute is she?? Good luck with her. The food bag guidelines are just for a reference. You need to go by what your puppy looks like. Too skinny, feed more, too fat feed less. How many times a day are you feeding?? At this age 3x a day is good. There are great ideas on here for anything you will encounter with her. From potty training, to feeding, to crating.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome! Definately sounds like you are on the right track. How many years of experience does your trainer have a PetSmart? I used to work there as a trainer. The curiculum is great and it's good for beginner classes but be sure to continue her training with an experienced trainer. She looks so adorable! Can't wait to see pics as she gets older!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
She's a cutie!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Awww...she's so cute! It's not all bad that she eats what she needs and walks away--she's eating all she needs. I would feed her 3 times a day and if she walks away from her dish and there's still some food in it, pick it up and give it back to her the next meal. She'll learn when it's mealtime she needs to eat it which can prevent her from becoming a picky eater. Sounds like you're doing all the right things for you little girl!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Kola is adorable. It's wonderful that she is good with Bailey and at this early age Bailey will set the ground rules.

Enjoy and soak up these puppy moments they grow up so fast.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome to you and Kola! :welcome:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies!!! Also yes, she has blue eyes.
Her ears look like they are up but it was only because she was laying the way she was. I don't know if they will stand or not... I hope they do.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Welcome!!! Your little Kola is darling. Glad you guys are committed to raising her and training her right. She will grow to be a wonderful friend for your efforts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts