German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one I am fairly new here, been reading some posts and learning more about those beautiful creatures, I recently purchased a puppy and was told is a GSD longhair king size. Not that I care much but I'm interested to know. Seeking your experienced opinions guys. Here are some pix of the pup at the age of 2 and half months almost. He is imported from Ukrain Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Well he's definitely a longhair. I don't know about his size though. You'll probably have to wait a few months before you know. The breeder surely knows best though.

·
Registered
873 Posts
He's adorable and sure looks like a longhair......there is (or was a few years back) a larger/heavier GSD that some breeders referred to as a "King Shepherd" ??----If you'd meant his parents they'd tell the tale as far as his size as an adult

ooooops.....:welcome: to the forum

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.. that’s the problem, I haven’t seen his parents but he tells me that it’s a show line breed not sure what that is.

·
Super Moderator
7,937 Posts
Coat type / length does not determine size.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Did you ask the breeder how much the parents weigh?

Show line refers to what the dogs were mainly bred for. Show line and working line are the main two. Show lines were bred for, well, showing. Looks are usually the most important factor when breeders breed for show.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There is a big difference between a show line German shepherd and a King shepherd. They are actually different breeds. From you pup's head shape, he looks like a German show line, which would be recognized by the German registration body, the SV. The German breed standard says the maximum size for male dogs is 65 cm (about 26"). Any dogs larger than that should not be approved for breeding. As a matter of fact, one of the most influential dogs in the history of the breed did not get a koer rating because he was oversized: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=191-vello-zu-den-
siebenfaulen

Why he was still allowed to be bred, I have no idea. Maybe someone more familiar with the German system can answer that question!

The tendency in the SV in recent years has been for the dogs to become larger and larger. Finally, in 2014, the SV decided to crack down on dogs that were oversized and send them to the back of the line in conformation shows. https://www.louisdonald.com/blog/can-the-sv-fix-the-problem-of-oversized-dogs-in-the-german-shepherd-dog

As a result of this, German breeders often dump their oversized dogs on the North American market as 'King shepherds'. North Americans seem to like oversized dogs, but a true King shepherd is something quite different from a dog registered with the SV: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Shepherd

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Tariq, looking more closely at your pictures, and being quite familiar with the Shiloh and King shepherds, I can say that he is almost certainly a German show line long coat shepherd, not a King. He has the coloring (black and red) the head shape and the angulation of one.

He also has very big paws, so I think he's going to be a big boy! Whether he will be taller than the standard...well, you will just have to wait and see!

Do you know if the parents are registered? That would tell you for sure if you saw the papers, because the King shepherd is found only in N. America.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very helpful you guys many thanks really. I dont have any information about the parents. However the guy I purchased the pup from told me that he only deals with one breeder from Ukraine since 20 years. And he showed me an 8 months old dog a customer bought from him when he was a puppy from the same breeder just to indicate the look and size. Can I post a short video here ?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That is a big boy. Is there a reason you wanted a bigger size German shepherd? Could you not find a breeder where you live so you had to import one?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Your pup is a Long Coated Show Line male.

Typical with Long Coats, is that they have very substantial bone, which makes them look larger. Also, the long hair makes them look larger. I would guess that the pup in the video is carrying a little too much weight, but other than that, there is nothing special about him. Definitely not a King Shepherd, and not a "King sized" which is only a marketing term used to sell over sized dogs, just like breeders that advertise "Old Fashioned, Straight Back", etc... They are not breeding to the breed standard, which does nothing positive for the breed.

There are plenty of breeders here in the US that breed for Coated puppies. I think they look gorgeous, and did have one female pup out of a litter. I only did a breeding with a male stud that did not carry the coat gene. Now it is acceptable again, in the German Standard, and they have separate Conformation Classes for Long Coats.

Cute pup. Enjoy and have fun with him.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks mnm.. why do they breed for show and work .. so called show line ..etc. are they different in characteristics?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts