German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to introduce myself, and I'll be introducing my squadron a few at a time.
My name is Jamie, although you'll see folks refer to me as James, my given name, Preacher, my Air Force call sign, Woof!, which is what the squadron calls me informally, and honey, which my wife calls me when she's not mad. I'm not going to tell you what she calls me when she IS mad.

A bit about me. I have been a dog lover all of my life, and I was raised on a 240,000 acre west Texas cattle ranch, so we had room for a couple. As a rule it was long haired Dachshunds in the house, Australian Shepherds to help with the cattle, Golden Retrievers to help with the hunting, and Jamie's GSD's which broke all of the rules, and continue to do so to this day.

I come from a family of pilots, and earned my private license on my 17th birthday, my commercial on my 18th, and I worked my way through college flight instructing, tending bar, and training bird dogs.
After college I joined the United States Air Force, and flew the F-15C predominantly with the 43rd tactical fighter squadron out of Elmendorf AFB, Alaska. I had many adventures there, but all good things must end, so I then spent 23 years flying big heavy jets for Continental Airlines, before retiring. I also acquired a wife, had some kids, and bought a ranch down near San Antonio, Texas, where my wife and I, and our squadron, live today.

After our final child graduated from college and left home, we began replacing them with German Shepherds. My wife is from rural Alaska and is a dog lover as well. Since we are an aviation family, we have a squadron rather than a pack.

Initially we planned to become a breeder, specializing in the long haired working dogs or mountain dogs, depending on who you listen to in Germany. :) My family is German by ancestry, we summered in Germany growing up, and Mom insisted on "German-only" Sundays, where only German was spoken at home. Thus the Dachshunds I suppose. They only barked in German.

Anyway, the breeder quickly turned into a rescue instead, as we saw more of a demand for our services rescuing these amazing animals than for making more. We do have a few litters each year, and donate to the wounded warrior organization as well as to individuals who come to our attention who could benefit from a new friend.

I served as a sheriff's deputy for a number of years, serving as backup K9 officer and trainer as well, and donate my training time as well as the occasional puppy to small departments in need of a K9 officer.

So that's me! I'll introduce the rest of the squadron a little at a time, as I said. I look forward to meeting all of you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Welcome aboard Jamie! Thank you for your service! That last photo is quite a shot, wow! Good looking squadron of dogs there too!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hello and welcome! We are glad to have you in the forum. Great intro and photos! Looking forward to hearing more about your squadron.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts