German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cruising the forum and found my new puppy's sister! I believe there were only 2 females in the litter so I had a special affection for the sister I didn't take home. She has a great home with a breeder in Georgia so that makes me feel good. Our puppies are almost 9 months old now. This find made me decide to join the forum. It would be great to be able to follow the development of Minka's sister.

In the past I had 2 GSD, both from German lines and both were super great dogs and history repeats itself in my pup Minka who is just as super! It's so much fun to have a puppy in the house again. Lots of work but so much fun!

So hi to all you GSD lovers!!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
HELLO AND WELCOME! :greet:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks neighbor! My sister goes to Minnesota a lot with her boyfriend. He has some land there that they like to take weekend vacations at. I have snowshoed in Minnesota with my past 2 German Shepherds. Nice country especially along the river; love those bluffs. I have yet to visit with my pup Minka.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome from Texas! Hey, stop by the Leinenkugel brewery and tell them to open one up down here! Haven't had a Honey Weiss since my trip to Chippewa Falls. :(

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Jane and welcome to the forum!!! Got your email and will respond tomorrow when I have a proper computer, not a touch pad screen.
Sweet! I am so excited to have found Minka's sister. Thanks! I really look forward to talking with you and would love to see some current photos. I have a blog that is loaded with photos of Minka and exploits of our training. I also entered her into the GSD Pedigree database so now the two girls are listed. Would like to see what the boys are up to. Did you see that Mike kept one of the boys and is training him - Temo. He posted some video on his website and Temo is looking really nice! OK, sorry for the rambling, I'm just get so excited about this litter.

JAN WOLF

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from Texas! Hey, stop by the Leinenkugel brewery and tell them to open one up down here! Haven't had a Honey Weiss since my trip to Chippewa Falls. :(
Will do next time I get there! Chippewa Falls is where the Harley Davidson Owners Group has held their annual rally and my husband and I attended one year. Lots of fun!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome! I read your posts in the section on Czech dogs. It was so interesting to learn about your fine pup--her temperament and abilities, also how you are training her. Hope you and Mary might post some of your discussions of your dogs here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be really interested to follow them! So glad you joined us.

Cecilia Stulting

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome! I read your posts in the section on Czech dogs. It was so interesting to learn about your fine pup--her temperament and abilities, also how you are training her. Hope you and Mary might post some of your discussions of your dogs here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be really interested to follow them! So glad you joined us.

Cecilia Stulting
I certainly will and I hope Mary does too! Currently, Minka found her voice box. Usually silent as a clam at home but bark bark bark right now. Looked outside nothing there. Had Schutzhund obedience and bite work training this morning. Working on getting her to consistently bark at the decoy even when he is standing still and and/or she is getting tired (a tiny step towards the bark and hold too.) When she gets tired she still wants to engage but it's like she saves her energy by not barking. When she is barking she throws her whole little body into it. Anyhow, long story short, if she gave a bark I'd move in a step towards the decoy, bark move in a step etc. I wonder if this has anything to do with her sudden barky protectiveness at home or just a coincidence of age. My little Miss Tough Girl :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:welcome: from Canada:toasting:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I certainly will and I hope Mary does too! Currently, Minka found her voice box. Usually silent as a clam at home but bark bark bark right now. Looked outside nothing there. Had Schutzhund obedience and bite work training this morning. Working on getting her to consistently bark at the decoy even when he is standing still and and/or she is getting tired (a tiny step towards the bark and hold too.) When she gets tired she still wants to engage but it's like she saves her energy by not barking. When she is barking she throws her whole little body into it. Anyhow, long story short, if she gave a bark I'd move in a step towards the decoy, bark move in a step etc. I wonder if this has anything to do with her sudden barky protectiveness at home or just a coincidence of age. My little Miss Tough Girl :)
That is really interesting! Wouldn't be at all surprised if the training had something to do with her becoming a vocal protector. I had wanted to channel my Wilhoit's protective drive with schutzhund training, but he had no play drive, so we couldn't do it safely. His protection was completely silent. It was visual, i.e., he would communicate his agressive intent with body language. I kept us out of trouble because his obedience was very good , he rarely went into protective mode, and he never got excited. I always wished, though, that I could have taught him to bark a warning, rather than go into full attack mode straight off the bat. This is why all those little details you give about Minka here are so interesting. I'm thinking ... so that's a part of how it's done! Schutzhund sounds like great way to raise a well-mannered dog. If I misunderstand, just correct me!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm in WI too. burrrrr

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Hello from SE WI!! The land of snow, snow and MORE snow (and frigid cold) and soon to be the land of MUD!! :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts