German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My DH and I are wanting to add a new addition to our family and have decided a GSD is what breed we are looking for. I have experience with raising a female Rottweiler from a pup until her death due to bone cancer at age 10yrs. I understand working dogs and have always loved big dogs.

We are researching what coloring we want and DH mentioned black & red GSD. I like the black & tan, but also love the Sable coloring and not to mention the black or white GSD. The long hair GSD is quite stunning and different.

When we are ready, I also would like to do extensive obedience training and would love to do Schutzhund, but don't know if there are any clubs in our area. We would also like to make our own agility equipment for our yard for further training/exercise.

I look forward to learning more about the GSD with the resources provided here :D

Thanks,
Barbie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome Barbie from MS! It's good to have you here.
Thank you for the welcome.

Do you have a GSD? I see a mention of a Siberian Husky. I think they are beautiful dogs, but I also have Parrots in my home and cannot do that type of breed.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Good luck on your puppy search :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you and your husband have a pretty good plan to keep your GSD active!:thumbup:
Good luck with your search and we will be waiting to see pictures of your new addition when you get him/her.:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sorry you lost your Rottie. Sounds like you're prepared--gsds take 'dog' to a whole new level. I have a black and red long-coated, really nice looking dog, but I picked him out by tempermant and personality. I told the breeder I wanted a big dark dumb lazy pup...and Stosh hasn't disappointed!! He's big and dark, but very smart, not lazy but very laid back. Exactly what I wished for. So let them help pick one out- that is, if you go to a breeder. Welcome and best wishes in your search!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome. I live in South Arkansas and imported a working line out of the Czech Republic this summer with the help of a breeder on this forum. Do a LOT of research and thought about what type of GSD you want and what you REALLY want to do with it as the types can be as different as another breed. In my case I really wanted to do the biting sports and as such did a lot research on the lines and breeders. Took over a year to get my boy once I decided what I wanted. I have to drive 5 hours round trip to Little Rock to train with the DVG schutzhund club there where I am a member. It takes a LOT of time both on the road and at home training but the rewards are so worth it. I don't know for sure but I don't think Springdale area has a DVG or USA club close so you may end up driving. Something to think about in your decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry you lost your Rottie. Sounds like you're prepared--gsds take 'dog' to a whole new level. I have a black and red long-coated, really nice looking dog, but I picked him out by tempermant and personality. I told the breeder I wanted a big dark dumb lazy pup...and Stosh hasn't disappointed!! He's big and dark, but very smart, not lazy but very laid back. Exactly what I wished for. So let them help pick one out- that is, if you go to a breeder. Welcome and best wishes in your search!
I think I'm totally drawn to the long haired GSD and DH wanted the b&r coloring, so something I may search deeper for this type. I figure it may be a year or so before we are ready, this is why I'm doing as much research as possible so we can be totally ready.

I lost my Rottie in 2007. It was very heartbreaking, as she was such a good dog and so beautiful. I was with her through everything including the surgeries to amputate her toe then til the end when I had to put her down. I still mourn her :(

I would love to do Schutzhund, but like another said it may be too far for me, but we still can do other training to keep him/her active. I live in such a beautiful area with lots of parks and trails and we love the outdoors, so naturally I want to enjoy that time with our new companion.

I love training. Actually, I wish I could find a way to train and certify myself and work as a trainer for police dogs or service dogs. If anyone has any info on that, I would appreciate if you could pass it along ;)

Thanks again for all your replies.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What a pretty girl! I can see why you like the black and red gsds. I've started sheep herding with Stosh, it's a blast!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where in NWA are you? I'm here too! LOL

If you find any trainers please do share. I haven't looked too much myself, but I've asked around and no one can recommend anyone.

Welcome!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where in NWA are you? I'm here too! LOL

If you find any trainers please do share. I haven't looked too much myself, but I've asked around and no one can recommend anyone.

Welcome!!
I'm in Walmart Home Office land, lol.

Where did you find your GSD?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi and welcome! i think it's great that you and your hubby want to do the research BEFORE getting a new family member! Kudos to you both for that. I wish you the best in your search, and remember to post pics after you get the new pup! :laugh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi and welcome! i think it's great that you and your hubby want to do the research BEFORE getting a new family member! Kudos to you both for that. I wish you the best in your search, and remember to post pics after you get the new pup! :laugh:
Thank you for the welcome :D

I am a research nut, lol. Seriously, I have 2 parrots in my home. Having an exotic animal such as these, you need to research everything, including breeds to match you and your lifestyle. It's a major commitment so why wouldn't I want to make sure I can provide the best for my feather babies? I even share my knowledge by bringing one of them to schools to share with kids. I teach them about birds, but mostly about responsibility, committment, and respect.

Also, when I first got my Rottie, I made sure I researched first. I did the same with my English Angora Rabbit ;)

It is very interesting to research, but I tell you, there is so much info out there, I do get a little overwhelmed as far as the different agility training and such. This is where I'm a total newbie...I'm learning though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you for the welcome :D

I am a research nut, lol. Seriously, I have 2 parrots in my home. Having an exotic animal such as these, you need to research everything, including breeds to match you and your lifestyle. It's a major commitment so why wouldn't I want to make sure I can provide the best for my feather babies? I even share my knowledge by bringing one of them to schools to share with kids. I teach them about birds, but mostly about responsibility, committment, and respect.

Also, when I first got my Rottie, I made sure I researched first. I did the same with my English Angora Rabbit ;)

It is very interesting to research, but I tell you, there is so much info out there, I do get a little overwhelmed as far as the different agility training and such. This is where I'm a total newbie...I'm learning though.
Sounds like you know what you want. I think thats great. I have a Nanday that I "rescued" from Wal Mart 24 years ago. I risked a 30k job back in the 80's to keep him (long story). Now at 45 years old (me) he has been with me longer than any living thing 'cept my parents that I am blessed to still have. What ever you decide on as to the GSD I feel quite sure you will stick with as I have no matter how inconvenient it is to train. Chose carefully as like me you will stand by this soul till death takes one of you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like you know what you want. I think thats great. I have a Nanday that I "rescued" from Wal Mart 24 years ago. I risked a 30k job back in the 80's to keep him (long story). Now at 45 years old (me) he has been with me longer than any living thing 'cept my parents that I am blessed to still have. What ever you decide on as to the GSD I feel quite sure you will stick with as I have no matter how inconvenient it is to train. Chose carefully as like me you will stand by this soul till death takes one of you.
I would love to hear your story if you want to share ;) I've fostered a couple birds along the way. My first birds was a Congo African Grey and my other is a Blue & Gold Macaw whom I raised from 3 wks old. Was quite the experience. Here's some info on my website :D

I was with my Rottie to the end....would do it for any of my animals whom are very much a part of me & my family :wub:

Thank you again everyone for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Barbie,

I'm in Fayetteville. I'm a member of Northwest Arkansas Working and Police Dog Association. We are an official WDA club, but have DVG members as well. We are listed on the WDA website too. We have about 10 members. Even if you don't have a GSD to train with at this moment, I would highly advise you to come out and have a look! It may give you a better idea of what you want to look for. Our club has excellent trainers, helpers, and dogs! In fact one of our members took 2nd place at the 2010 DVG Nationals and is flying to Germany with his phenomenal dog to compete in the BSP this April. We train Wednesday nights and Sunday morning. The club always appreciates newcomers. If you're interested, email me at [email protected]

Anyone else in the surrounding area, that is interested, is welcomed to shoot me an email.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,335 Posts
Dean (JLockhart) waited through 3 missed litters before getting his dog because he did his research and felt good about his decision (even though he needed a firm shove!!! when the final choice had to be made!!) and when Auron arrived, what he got was more than he could have hoped for! It pays to do your research and as you do it, firm up your goals and needs - a bunny and a parrot are going to be challenging when you are raising a high prey drive puppy.....

Good luck!

Lee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts