German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time GSD owner of a 7 week old puppy named Hawkeye. As of today I've had him 5 days but I already can't remember life before him lol. I thought it would be good to have a puppy that I could train and watched a ton of YouTube videos before getting him but I've since learned that those videos make things look so much easier than they actually are - especially when you're sleep deprived from getting up a few times every night! I've also lurked on these forums quite a bit - it's a little therapeutic knowing that others have or are going through similar things. I look forward to learning from everybody!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
Doncha just love how the videos only show the successful bits and not how they got to the successful bits?

Actually, video yourself as you start playing short training games between yourself and your pup. Not so much to show everyone else but so that you can see yourself like others do. Not only will you have fond memories but you can see mistakes that you make that might not otherwise.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Congrats on the puppy. I am also a first time GSD puppy owner (6 months) and am still in college so I was overwhelmed to say the least. IDK your pups breeder or lines but I can tell you I never thought I would enjoy and get so into "dog training" as I am now...its a good life lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oof having a puppy in college sounds rough. I'm in a master's program right now but it's online and Hawkeye takes quite a few naps so I take advantage of those to do some work - even though I want to take a nap too!

I'm not too familiar with lines and such but the breeder told me his father is a therapy dog and his mother is their family dog but also works on the farm they lived on. He said he would make a great working or family dog but I'm sure he'll have a lot of energy so I look forward to learning about what kind of activities I can do with him to satisfy his needs when he gets a little older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts