German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we have rescued a beautiful white German Shepherd, that we were told was born july 4th 2009, but I am not sure he is that old. He had been very abused, and only weighed 46 lbs. He is testing our patienc every day.:eek: He stands about 23 inches at his back hips. He has become very aggressive with anyone except my husband and myself, tho he has snapped at me a few times in the beginning..like when I was running the sweeper. When I walk into the room, he jumps up and tries to force his tongue to my mouth, and then runs in circles a few times, and rolls on his back w/ all four legs in the air like he has done something wrong...but if you don't rub his stomach, he almost get demanding, and tries to hold onto your legs by wrapping his around them. I know this must all sound very strange...but I have never had such a demanding, anxiety ridden dog before. We thought maybe he was younger than we were told, but didn't know how to tell, so we were seeing more puppy behavior??? He is always putting our arms, hands, etc into his mouths..so much so that we have to wear long sleaves because people stare at us in public wondering what we are doing to ourselves.
Could someone please give me some advice on what is happening? Advice on that to do??? We've only had him for 2 mos. now. He does mind commands, sit, stay, go to crate, etc.. very well.
Thank you!! If I can figure this out, I will send a picture of him.
Carla

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like he's a bit confused and trying to figure out his new world and the way it's run. Along with who's in charge and what that even means!

EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE will be such a help you wouldn't even believe how much that will change him.

And if you can find some dog classes it will only continue to help give you the leadership role as the time goes on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the welcomes.

We do try to exercise him as much as possible. We have a doggie door w/ a 20 foot run, plus I take him into a fenced in yard about 30-45 mins twice a day, and then my hubby walks him at least once a day and tries to first thing in the morning.
I am home with him all day long, so he isn't kept in a crate unless we go out...or I need a time out. :)
Walking on a leash has been inpossible other than w/ a gentle leader, and I have mixed feelings about that. Him chewing the house apart has slowed down, so I am seeing progress, which I do think it is from the exercise before bed.
From all the abuse he has gone through, some times I get so confused on which way to go..being firm and sticking to the rules, or hugging him. You might be able to see in his pictures where his ear is ripped down. They allowed their huge meaner dog to use him as bait. Breaks my heart - - but he knows this, right.. ha ha

Is there any way of being sure of his age??

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome! Where in IL are you?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
From all the abuse he has gone through, some times I get so confused on which way to go..being firm and sticking to the rules, or hugging him. You might be able to see in his pictures where his ear is ripped down. They allowed their huge meaner dog to use him as bait. Breaks my heart - - but he knows this, right.. ha ha
Awww the poor guy, people can be such idiots. :(

I'd try to get him in some kind of class, but be sure to tell the trainer he's had abuse issues in the past so they can help you watch for triggers that might set him off. If you can find a trainer who's a behaviorist that would even be better.
Until then, consistency is going to be your friend, and his. Hug him all you want, just make sure you do it when he's being good, not right after he jumps from the counter to the table top. ;)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome Carla and Casper! :)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Welcome to the board from another Illinoisian!!!!!!

Sounds like he's got some issues and needs training. I would get him in a obiedence class right away, so they can tell you how to handle this new dog.

Good luck and get some training advice . God only know what he's been through!!!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois!! Sounds like he is just trying to find his place in your home, like what MaggieRoseLee said lots of excercise will also help and maybe some formal training with a trainer that knows about dogs of his caliper

1 - 12 of 12 Posts